History of the WHU
If this is your first time visiting this page, welcome! This post chronicles the history of the WHU, the famous and infamous posts, and all the major achievements that happened as a result of the Warcraft Hunter’s Union, its in-game Guild, and the hunter community in general.
Warcraft Hunters Union was regularly updated from October 2008 through January 2014 (over 1,600 posts). There’s a lot of fun, amazing, epic times captured here over the years, and I hope you enjoy browsing through it.
- 1,625 Posts
- Frostheim: 1,374 posts (plus another 239 at WoW Insider)
- Arth: 198 posts
- Arust: 28 posts (Frost originally started the WHU with Arust, who was supposed to provide the dwarf-hating elven view)
- Tapington: 21 posts (Tap had a short run as the WHU PvP columnist)
- Others: 4 posts (guest posts from other hunters)
- 41,456 comments
- 12,510 subscribers
- 58,972,637 pageviews
- Peak traffic: Oct 13, 2010: 167,428 pageviews & 72,952 visits (when the pre-Cataclysm patch launched)
WHU Guild Events
The WHU Guild still exists and can be joined (dwarven hunters only!). For more on the guild, click here.
- Level 1 Hunter raid: Hogger & Ysondre
- Level 10 Hunter Raid: Emeriss
- Level 19 Hunter Raid: Prot Warrior Arena Madness
- Level 30 Hunter Raid: March on Blackrock Mountain
- Pirates Day!
- Level 40: WHU vs the Outlands
- Level 50: WHU vs Thunder Bluff
- Level 55: WHU vs Thyrm (gnomish hunter style)
- Level 65: WHU vs the Whale Shark
- Level 75: Size matters arena madness & Sylvanas raid
- Level 90: WHU vs Orgrimmar (in ogre suits)
WHU All-Hunter Raiding Achievements
When the WHU all-hunter guild hit the level cap in Cataclysm, we embarked on many all-hunter raid challenges, both 25-man and 10-man. Bosses Killed (all during Cataclysm, when Dragon Soul was considered endgame):
- Omnotron Defense Council
- Atramedes (no video)
- Valiona and Theralion
In-Game Items & Tributes for Hunters
- Frostheim – Recovered Cloak of Frostheim
- BigRedKitty – BRK-1000
- Zeherah – Zeherah’s Dragonskull Crown
- Darkbrew – Darkbrew Lager
- Michele Morrow – Mei Chele (NPC)
Hunter Songs & Videos
- WHU theme song
- I Won’t Miss You
- Hunter Open Collab
- ‘Til the Servers Shut Down
- Hunter’s Are Just Awesome Song (Boom de Yada) – including vocals by many prominent hunters and Ghostcrawler
- Blizzcon machinima (Grandpappy Frostheim and the Mad Elf) — this is a good video because it includes footage from a bunch of the WHU guild events.
- What Is the Best Pet – For the dps! This video is a must for all elite hunters!
Hunting Party Podcast
Rather than reprint the information, I’ll just link you to a series of excellent articles by Darkbrew over at The Brewhall that chronicles the history of the podcast
I actually had myself at 30 episodes, not 27, but I’m not one to split hairs. ;-) …in all, the podcast was an amazing experience for all involved, and many past episodes (especially landmark ones like 100 and 200) are worth re-listening to, even years later.
WHU BBQ Events
These were real-life parties that attracted numerous WHU readers to them. There was food, drinks, stories, and fun. Below are the recaps of each.
These were submitted by members of the community over a period of a few years. Some contain in-jokes from the website and podcast, but many are universal to anyone who has played WoW.
Frostheim’s ornery, elderly alter-ego, the Grandpappy Frostheim series of articles received adulation from the entire community. Some of the information is dated, but many of the rants hold true even today. The Grandpappy Frostheim posts started on the WHU and later moved over to WoW Insider when Frostheim started as the hunter columnist there.
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Pets (WHU)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Wiping (WHU)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Death Knights (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Cataclysm Changes (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Traps (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Mana (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on the End of Wrath (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Pet Happiness (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Ghostcrawler (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Dumbing Down the Game (WoW Insider)
- Grandpappy Frostheim on Why Burning Crusade Sucked (WoW Insider)
Notable Posts & Exploits
- The First WHU Post ever, in 2008, in which Frostheim makes fun of elves. This theme literally dates back to the very beginning of the site.
- Frostheim’s 50 Reasons Hunters Are Better Than Every Other Class (WoW Insider)
- Frostheim’s analysis of of Google WoW searches to see overall WoW search trends and most searched for classes (WoW Insider)
- In his very early days of writing the WoW Insider hunter column, Scattered Shots, Frost wrote the infamous Can Beast Mastery Raid? post (late WotLK era) that earned him the eternal enmity of BM hunters. For reference, he said that BM could indeed successfully raid, but was horribly sub-optimal, on the level of raiding with green-quality gems, no buff flasks or food, and no pants.
- Frostheim did a number of crunchy DPS analysis posts that used aggregate World of Logs data to graph a fact-based look at class DPS performance that were very popular, spawned a lot of discussion, and frequently caught the attention of developers. These were all posted on WoW Insider:
- Frostheim did several posts on theorycrafting, explaining the basics of the process. These posts are still relevant today:
- Over at WoW Hunters Hall (which stopped updating when Tabana retired) Frost did a series of posts on how to start and promote a hunter blog. Most of that info is still relevant (except for the part about promoting it on WoW Hunters Hall):
- The Frostheim Interviews Ghostcrawler post over on WoW Insider led to Ghostcrawler emailing Frost and the start of occasional email exchanges & Blizzcon meetups (though because WHU wasn’t approved by Blizz PR, I had to call Ghostcrawler and arrange times & places to “accidentally” bump into each other at the show — now that Ghostcrawler has left Blizzard I figure I can finally talk about it).
- Arth pet-tanked the raid boss Sindragosa in ICC when it was progression content. He server transferred to get this achievement with Frost’s raid team, which was more tolerant of hunter craziness then his own. This world-first hunter tank proved that pet tanking was not just possible, by easier than the regular tanking method.
- Frostheim pet-tanked Rotface in ICC while he kited the slimes (when ICC was current). The standard strat for this boss was to have two tanks (one for Rotface and one for the slimes). Frost did both roles with higher dps on the boss than a tank (despite shooting slimes so much) and freed up a tank slot for another dpser.
- Frostheim’s Retirement Post in July 2013, which wraps up many highlights of the WHU, and RL experiences spawned by the WHU.
- Arth’s Retirement Post in January 2014.
General Video Links
- Hunting Party Podcast – This isn’t the link for the live show, but to the Hunting Party Podcast Youtube channel. All HPP episodes will eventually be uploaded to this channel (currently it’s only the most recent 50 or so). Alternatively, the podcast’s main website also has recordings of the shows, as does OutDPS.com. They links to either site are HERE and HERE.
- Frostheim’s WHU Channel – Includes several hunter achievements and events.
- Arth’s WHU Channel – Includes several hunter achievements and events.
- Frostheim Goggles – this was a short-lived but funny web comic that Frostheim wrote, centering around his dwarven hunter in WoW. Rather than link each individual comic, I’ve linked to the search query that will retrieve them. Alternative link here.
- Hunter Posters – These were a series of hilarious “motivational” posters created by members of the community. Frostheim received so many of them that he made it a regular habit of posting them on the site. You can find all the posts of hunter posters here.
- Blizzcon Gathering – This article shares stories and pictures from one of Frostheim’s trips to Blizzcon. A WHU hunter gathering highlighted the event, and this was also when Frostheim got a real-life version of his in-game item.
- This Post started the theme of friendship bracelets, and Frostheim’s hairy wrists that continued throughout the Hunting Party Podcast.
- Posts about Hrist, the hate tank, were always popular and entertaining. Alas these pretty much went away when Frost’s raid team started using voice during raids. You can find Hrist posts here.