The Beginning of the End

Posted: by Arth

Several months ago, Frostheim formally announced his retirement from WoW blogging. He had been on his way out slowly for several months, and my blogging had steadily increased during that time, so filling the void he left on the WHU wasn’t a difficult transition for me.

But I also stated at that time that I didn’t plan on curating the WHU indefinitely, and that once I had a clearer plan, I would share it with the community. That time has come.

I’m leaving the WHU, and the world of hunter blogging, within the next month and a half. I plan on coinciding my departure with the 200th episode of the Hunting Party Podcast. This podcast will also be the final episode of the HPP, so it will end at the same time. Darkbrew and I had originally planned on announcing it on last week’s podcast, but my tardiness prevented that, so hopefully I’m not jumping the gun here, but it’s something we’ve been discussing for quite a while. We’re not looking for a replacement blogger on the WHU (unless Frost steps back in with other plans)…it’s tempting, but it has had its run, and there are many, many hunters out there doing great work that will keep the community strong.

But I don’t want sadness! The WHU has had an incredible, unbelievable, legendary run. So has the podcast. And we aren’t done just yet!

The Plan

I’m not simply stopping the blogs and calling it a day. Ever since I took over the WHU, I’ve had a rollout plan to help with the transition of the WHU Hunter community.

The Hunter Project

Knowing that the WHU wouldn’t have its place in the community forever, I created the Hunter Project as my parting gift to the hunter community. I don’t know what impact it will have on hunters in the expansion, but the scope and intent of it is something we can all be proud of. And even in the few hunter-specific announcements we’ve gotten for Warlords of Draenor, there are signs that Blizzard is aware of and addressing many of the issues that the Hunter Project raised.

Podcast

We’re going out with a bang. Episode 200 will happen sometime in January, and will feature a TON of familiar faces. We have verbal commitments from Frostheim, Euripides, BigRedKitty, Michele Morrow and possibly 1-2 others (we’re going to contact Zeherah, for example, and maybe a couple other semi-regular past guests). I can’t promise that all of those people will be able to make it, but I can promise that many of them will. It will be epic.

Also, Alisaunder is open to continuing the podcast in some other form, and Darkbrew and I are willing to aid those who might want to start doing their own thing. This specific incarnation of the podcast may be done, but I hope some hunter blogger or community figure someday takes up the mantle. If you know of anyone that may be interested, feel free to contact me (ArthWHU@yahoo.com, or more generally for the podcast at huntingpartypodcast@gmail.com).

200 is an incredible run for a podcast, especially one as niche as ours. I’ve been proud to be a part of it, and will be proud to help see it off next month.

WHU Guild

Other than a potential simultaneous party event during the 200th podcast, there will be no new events planned for the WHU Guild. But there are still many hunters who play in the guild, and it long ago took on a life of its own. I’d encourage current members and officers, and anyone else who is interested, to continue to try to grow and maintain the guild. It’s become a wonderful and unique environment in which to play, and there’s no reason it can’t continue to exist and thrive.

News and Views

Hunter and WoW news will continue on the WHU up to my final blog. There won’t be a dropoff in coverage in the next month, except when my real-life schedule intervenes through some of the holidays. You can (and I hope you do!) continue to stop in every day, every week, or whatever your current WHU browsing schedule is.

Resource List

The number of both WoW and Hunter resources on the internet is now staggering. The final blog post I write won’t be a goodbye, but will be a comprehensive list of sites and resources for hunters who may stumble upon the WHU looking for information. Since the WHU’s contents will eventually become outdated, I want to make sure any stray visitors are able to find the best resources out there to continue to get the most out of their class. Whether or not Frostheim decides to keep the site up indefinitely (it may continue to pull trace amounts of ad revenue, for example, or it may be worth keeping an archive of posts), this final post should help hunters to pay their dues even after the site itself is faded from relevance.

….

I’d say it’s been fun, but that would be a massive understatement. I know I wasn’t quite the community figurehead Frostheim was, but my time on the WHU and in the hunter community in general has been unbelievable. Stay tuned – we’re not done just yet – and cheers!

1. Mitch says:

Unfortunately, I cannot help but have [more than] a few sads ._.

2. Flint says:

It was fun while it lasted. A great place to get info and make my Hunters Min/Max.

3. Scruffi says:

Wow! This really is the end of the Second Age of Hunter Blogging (BRK was the First Age, of course). Sad to see this disappear – you guys have been one of the few consistent, stable points in the sea of Hunter data – a rare mix of informative and listenable ]:) Going to be hard to replace. But fair well where you may fair. May the road rise to meet you. Slainte!

• Arth says:

Heh, I like that…the Second Age of Hunter Blogging. Maybe I’ll do a torch-passing article heralding the Third Age!

But thank you!

4. Argent says:

It is a shame that my emergence into raiderhood is marked by the end of the sites that made me keep at it. I shan’t forget what the WHU meant to me, nor to pay my dues. Thank you Arth, to say you and the rest of the old hands will be missed is a gross understatement. I look forward to tuning in one final time.

/preemptivesalute

5. Chessier says:

It’s really over? Everyone’s leaving and I find myself with a little something in my eye. Well thanks for everything your time wasn’t wasted you entertained and assisted so many of us. Enjoy your retirement you earned it.

6. Dharion says:

If no one else is interested, I’d like to know when the domain name warcrafthuntersunion.com comes up for registration, so that the WHU doesn’t have to die completely.

• Arth says:

Well, that’s just it. At one point Frost and I discussed finding a new blogger, but the WHU was really Frost’s venture all those years ago. Me taking it over was a natural transition because I already did so much on the site, but bringing someone else in wouldn’t feel as organic. Keeping it alive just for the sake of it didn’t seem worth it, especially given the excellent resources out there these days (most of which didn’t exist when the WHU was founded). So sure, you can email Frost or myself if you’re really interested (Frost owns the domain, so that would really be his thing), but I’m not sure trying to recapture the heyday of the WHU is the best idea. It had its time.

I don’t mean to shoot this down entirely, and I appreciate the desire to keep it active, but again, I think a graceful sendoff might be the best thing.

I’ll probably leave the WHU up for historical reference : )

7. Bowmont says:

Well Arth I was glad to get into the guild when I did. I wish I had been there from the beginning but I enjoyed everything I got to be involved in. You guys got me into Base Jumping, Soloing and All Hunter Raiding. Got to help with the progression on Morchok in Cata, lead the charge on a Garrosh Raid. Heck even Pistachio (my turtle) got well known on the Wed runs. I give great thanks to Frost, Arth, Flint, Bella, Gudryn, Bramman, and many more friends I have met through WHU and DHS. You all will forever be friends to me no matter where anyone goes. WHU will always have Bowmont and Pistachio ready for a fight. Take care it was great raiding with you!! ~ Bob aka Bowmont

• Arth says:

Thanks dude! It was great getting to know a lot of WHUers, and raiding with them in many cases. I’ll take some awesome memories with me.

• Flint says:

I’d hate to see the WHU and the ALL hunter raiding go away. GUdryn did a great job but she has really moved on to Raiding with DHS and the Panda experiment.

Bramman is still the best Hunter tank I’ve seen. Nothing against you Arth, but Bramman had a strange sense I have not seen in anyone else. I don’t recall seeing his Pettank die. I’m sure it has, but I cant recall a time that it did.

I owe a lot of what I have accomplished in my time playing wow to WHU. Without Arth’s first Syndragosa pet tanking I never would have had the balls to try it. It was our discussions that got me doing extreme soloing.

Arth are you staying on Icecrown in Wyrmfoe or do you plan to go Horde again and return to your other raid guild?

Flint will stay on Icecrown in WHU and eventually I’ll level him to 90.

• Arth says:

For the moment, I don’t have plans to move my toon. I’m kinda waiting for WoD to see what role I might be able to fall into with my character. I may jump back into a raid team, I may stay casual, or I may fade away from the game altogether. Haven’t really decided…for now, my only long-term decisions have been WHU-related.

Frankly, I’ll never be a altoholic, so my insta-level-90 in WoD will likely be another hunter, maybe on my original server. But I don’t foresee myself ever leaving Icecrown at this point, especially with the WHU Guild remaining somewhat active.

That said, I’m not really necessary for the WHU Guild to continue with stuff. A strong enough core of officers can keep it alive and well, even if it’s not capable of the massive events we’ve held in the past. I may poke in to see what it’s like currently, though, and can help the guild in small ways here and there.

8. Ligerwolf says:

This has heavily hit hard deep inside for me. HPP was the first podcast I started to listen to when I started to play WoW. HPP was like a clubhouse for hunters to get together and talk about us, hunters. Sure, there are lots of podcasts out there but those are not hunter oriented podcasts.

Anywho, I will miss this show. *cries*

9. Darkon says:

I’m sad I know you said not to but this is the end of an era for hunters the time of hop is ending

10. Ot says:

I’m reminded of how lost ended

Jacob passes on the responsibility to jack after hundreds of years.
    Then Jack passes it to Hurley after an hour. Not saying anything wrong with that just made me think of it.

Frost – Arth
    Arth – ?

guess we’ll see… or maybe when wow is done we’ll see wow 2 and a whu return

11. synthparadox says:

Truly all great things must come to an end, I suppose the saying goes. Just putting it out there and adding on to the offer to aid anyone taking on the mantle: I am willing to produce (manage site, edit podcast, set up logistics, Google Hangouts, etc) for whosoever continues this or a related podcast. If you get in touch with Arth/Darkbrew/Ali, they have my contact info and we can collaborate.

As far as HPP goes, truly a great run, and very honored to have been able to be a part of this wonderful community. Thanks, and good luck on any and all future endeavors.

12. Xeran says:

Sad to see the blogging go, but was wondering: are the guides going to keep being updated (rotations, talent builds etc)? Would be nice to still have another source besides Icy Veins.

13. Phyllixia says:

Unfortunate. I did like this site for being mostly good information and not too much fluff – everyone who updated here did a great job.

• Zarel says:

Just wanted to thank you for all of the incredibly informative work that’s been done for/in WHU! I’ve been helped tremendously by what you’ve done and look forward to helping other hunters with what I’ve learned. The discussions on BiS, Trinkets, Specs, Shot Rotations, and Guides have been invaluable! Again, many thanks!!!

14. Dielhelm says:

It’s not been fun knowing this info for the past few months but it gave me time to think about tossing my hat into the Hunter Podcasting realm. I have had a few different short lived podcasts over the years that always ended due to lack of reliable co-hosts, but I would like to venture back into it with an opening in the Hunter community after episode 200 ends. Now I just need to find a good co-host or two or three. If interested feel free to email me at dielhelm187@Gmail.com. Going to miss the WHU & the podcast but will always remember the contributions to our community fondly.

15. Beergasm says:

It’s been a good run but all good things, and all good hunts, must eventually come to an end. Nothing but good memories of WHU for me! Thanks for all the efforts by all throughout the years, creating all this great hunter content and organizing the WHU guild and events.

16. I guess this isn’t a complete surprise, but still, an unwelcome one.

Do you have any suggestions for other WoW podcasts, particularly hunter-focused ones?

And is there anywhere that we can legally download the HPP theme song?

• Arth says:

Class-specific podcasts tend not to last long, which is what made ours so unique. But no, there’s none that I know of, which is why I issued the call to a blogger or other community member who might be interested in starting up their own. Hopefully someone takes me up on it.

The latter is a question for Frost, not me. I’m unaware of a place to download it though.

• Dielhelm says:

Ringo, I plan on either carrying the HPP torch or lighting a new one to help fill the void that will be left. As far as other WoW podcasts I love Convert to Raid, IMO it’s the best general WoW cast. Realm Maintenance is good for WoW news and to get turned on to other podcasts as Rowe interviews other hosts. I’m going to try to have everything ready to for a hunter podcast by the time the WHU & HPP close their doors so the info can get out to everyone.

17. Aadyn says:

Didn’t 5.41 just drop today? No hunter specific changes i take it?

18. Fradin says:

I knew it would end eventually but nothing can take the great memories away of the level 1 hunter raid it was awesome killing the world dragon and attack the target dummy in Ironforge . I would just like to say a big thank you to all the people who put in endless hours of effort into this site , podcast and for keeping all us hunters update . Have a merry Christmas all and may hunters always be a force to be recon with.

19. Sango says:

I feel like it’s the beginning of the end in WoW; the strongest and largest player community, WHU, is essentially disappearing =( I’ve never played regularly on Icecrown, but have always still felt very much apart of the community through this site. Thank you for all of the wonderful insight and support that everyone has offered each other here, it made me not only a better hunter, but a better player, period =) I can easily say that my best years playing WoW were the ones that I was part of WHU. I always have been, and always will be proud to be apart of Warcraft Hunters Union.

Hopefully the next generation of hunters will be as awesome as this one was ;)

20. This is very sad. The Hunting Party Podcast and this Site had accompanied me for many years now. The HPP was always one of my favorite podcasts. But I thank all of your for the great time.

And of course it is great to see, that there might be some successors.

21. Garfurion says:

Sad to see you leave Arth. You may not have been a community figurehead like Frost but you were on your way to becoming one. Hopefully other hunter bloggers will follow up on The Hunter Project once more information regarding WoD becomes available.

It’s good to see people already stepping up to fill the void of the HPP.

22. Kheldul says:

Thanks Arth for tidying up Frostheim’s dirty room. ;-)

No but seriously, thank you.

23. Mahek says:

Thanks Frost & Arth for these years of Awesomsauce!
    The Guides, WHU Events, Podcasts, Amazing Videos, Songs, Sporebat!
    You guys certainly made WoW more aweome!

Thanks again! Cheers :)

24. Rocsalt says:

I’m bummed that I did not get into the guild sooner, but I’m glad to have experienced it. I hope the guild continues to be active and prosper. I still have so many buttons to master (if ever).

Rocsalt