Goodbye to the Ghost

Posted: by Arth

Greg Street, better known as “face of the franchise” Ghostcrawler, is leaving Blizzard. Here’s his official announcement:

You know that part at the end of raid night when the final boss is dead and you’re done handing out loot and everyone kind of goes their separate ways? Yeah, this is one of those times.

We just came off of a great BlizzCon. We had so many different games to talk about, and we were thrilled at the reception of Warlords of Draenor. It was great to meet or reconnect with so many of you. I love BlizzCon dearly, which makes it so hard to tell you that this will be my last one, or at least my last one up on stage. An opportunity has come my way, and I have made the very tough decision to move on from Blizzard.

I wanted to thank all of you for being a part of this grand quest. I have said a hundred times that having passionate gamers, including the angry ones, is a far better place to be than having a community that doesn’t care. You all care. Like us, you want the game to be the best that it can be. So I ask you to keep on providing your feedback. I promise (and I rarely promise!) that the developers care very much about what you have to say.

I’ll be out there, and I can’t imagine it will be that hard to find me.

Hugs,
Ghostcrawler

P.S. No, you can’t have a pony. Or a moose. Or a mantis shrimp. Or a tardigrade. Or a crab. Keep trying though.

P.P.S. I play a Holy Priest.

GC helped save my own WoW endeavors at one point. After speaking with Frostheim at a Blizzcon, Frost pointed out that hunter pets were about to be unable to defense cap, thus making it harder for soloing and tanking. GC listened, understood the concern, and very quickly a defense-capping ability was added to pet abilities (one that we have to this day). At the time, I was deep into pet tanking, so this was a godsend for me. So thanks, Greg. I can’t imagine how much he had to put up with in terms of fan criticism, but he was an unwavering source of news and optimism, and the WHU wishes him well in his future endeavors.

Now, I’ll save my “I told you so” about Priests always having a good time of things for another day. For now…

/tar Ghostcrawler

/tame

I mean /salute

1. LittleYeti says:

Why must everyone I love leave me?!

Though I am curious about this “opportunity.”

2. Xeran says:

I respect his dedication to his work, and I wish him the best.
    However, perhaps @mumper and @celestalon will actually listen to our current concerns so Hunters receive a remake and are taken off the bench and into raids and pvp once more.

• Arth says:

Well, Ghostcrawler wasn’t the warden on complaints. He was just the figurehead that addressed the community most often. It’s a bit disingenuous to say GC didn’t listen to concerns, because all decisions were made by the development team as a whole, not one man.

I’m also not sure what specific concerns you’re talking about. Aside from 5.4 where we got brought back to the middle of the pack, BM hunters were dominant in PvP during MoP. And yes, it was an uncharacteristically lackluster expansion for us in PvE, but not to the extent that I heard stories of hunter being benched at higher levels of progression. Did this happen to you?

• Xeran says:

No, I wasn’t benched, but I’ve read forum stories about others who were.

My main problem with Ghostcrawler is that he seemed to be perfectly fine with the fact that currently, Hunters are 3 bland homogenized specs that share over half of the same toolkit.

3. Ot says:

He did contradict himself a lot and the conversation I had with him left a bad taste. Didn’t show him in a positive light but rather made him sound like a bad Politian who stuck his foot in his mouth and was back peddling as fast as possible.

I understand I share a different view from others and no one persons opinion is absolute. He dose how ever owe me an “ok you were right” as he later came out and made the exact same argument as me.

cant say ill miss him
    looking forward to seeing who’s coming

keep the mayo off my burger.

4. Rangus says:

He never delivered on my pony so good riddance. :P

5. Clin says:

I’m coming down on the good riddance side also. He was after LEAD system designer and as such his opinions and ideas must have counted for much more than mere development team members. He was this Lead designer for the most widely criticized expansion of all in Cata, which resulted in a huge exodus of players from the game. He must have given approval for that expansion and so must shoulder a proportion of the blame. I can’t fault his communication but for me his designs left a lot to be desired.

6. Med says:

There is no doubt that GC brought an overwhelming liberal philosophy to the game. This is what absolutely drove me away. The fact that you pay $15.00 a month does not “entitle” you to see and do everything the game has. The game was rolling along at a nice clip before he came on board and steadily lost subs since his arrival.

As far as hunters go, it is the same thing we have seen for quite some time now. Somewhat competitive during progression and a steep decline once gear is acquired. The class does not scale well at all with gear vs. other classes. You would think this would have been addressed, but alas this has gone on for years now.

I wish him well in his future endeavor. He is a good person that tried to do the right things as he saw it. It just so happened that most players did not see it the same way.

Video up now of a Warlock soloing current raid content……../sigh…….drool on the keyboard and get loot. I really hate seeing good games go bad……….

7. Frostheim says:

I will definitely miss Ghostcrawler’s presence in the community. I have great respect for his design philosophy and am frankly in awe of his ability to maintain positive, optimistic communication in the face of the endless asshats who can complain, but can’t write, spell, or punctuate.

I do understand, however, that it can be hard to go on in a world in which there is no Frostheim blogging :P

8. bahzob says:

Good riddance. He completely failed at delivering on the most important word in his title: Design.

9. Rangus says:

“He never delivered on my pony so good riddance. :P”

I was being sarcastic. Ghostcrawler was never in control of how the game evolved. He may have had some influence in development but his main duties was as the PR person charged with releasing game info and smoothing ruffled feathers whenever he could. Basically he was Blizz’s designated target for emo players (I really hope he got paid well for putting up with so much crap). Blaming him for Cata or anything else in the game you don’t like is just silly.

10. Wotfan2 says:

I am one of those that is not a game developer/designer/programmer etc.
    I am however a player albeit not a great one but a decent one. I never personally talked with Greg as some of the other posters apparently have so I cannot say that he “lied” to me or misrepresented anything. What I have seen in actual posts has been fairly accurate. The only time I remember him saying one thing and then having to change it was when the developers changed the wording of an ability after they gave him the publicity wording. In addition I would like to know who else other than Frostie baby was actually in the actual game design business. That way I would actually know who to read and know that thay actually kinda know what they are actually talking about.

11. Marty says:

I think he was fired and all these nice words are just cover-up for not to make waves. WoW quality and subscription numbers are in decline since he joined Blizzard. So I’m not sad, perhaps there will be someone with more vision and we’ll finally have some class balance without homogenization.