Maybe I’m naive for trying this. But stay with me.
We’re a coherent hunter community. We’ve done some awesome things together. We’re also – usually – a bit more sane than the average WoW forum discussion.
So why not use our power for good?
Here’s the premise: Blizzard wants to revamp the hunter class for the next expansion. We’re not game developers, and frankly, a bunch of our “great” ideas are horrific for a variety of reasons. BUT. Not all of our collective ideas are bad. Many are quite good, and a few have been implemented by Blizzard. Probably the most notable example of this is minimum range and Stampede.
My goal is to identify several areas of the game that could possible be made more awesome for hunters. I’ll rarely talk about things like balancing, because that’s an internal issue that we don’t have the raw data to be able to handle. But, in the abstract, a lot of cool changes can be made that affect the feel of the hunter class.
1. Make a big list of things that could possibly be overhauled.
2. Gather suggestions and collect them together to create a giant suggestion list for Blizzard to consider. Ideally, we can present multiple options in a given area, not a hard “this is exactly how we want it,” because the more adaptable our suggestions are, the higher our chances of seeing them implemented.
3. Saturate the hunter community with this (beyond just the WHU). Not everyone will agree with us. And 90% or more of the suggestions will likely go unheeded. But if we can affect even a few things about our class development, why wouldn’t we try?
Item #3 will require some community effort, because we’ll want to be seen, heard, and shared. If even a few ideas catch on with a bigger crowd, we’ll have done our jobs well. I don’t expect every hunter to be on board with 100% of the suggestions we make. But I hope enough of you are interested in getting behind this that we can make a decent-sized push.
- Spec differentiation
- Aspects (I think they can be rebooted and saved)
- Button Bloat (potential solutions), both rotational and otherwise
- Pet management, abilities, and options
- General Suggestions (non-hunter) to improve the feel of the game
- I need ideas for topics. Make suggestions. DON’T make suggestions about the topics I already listed. That will come later. We’re listing topics in general right now.
This list is fluid. It will be added to based on your suggestions. Also based on the suggestions of podcast hosts/guests. I’ll also be pulling a few of Frostheim’s old gems back from obscurity to add to the suggestion pile.
I’m retaining veto rights, but I don’t want this to be Arth’s hunter manifesto. I want it to be collaborative.
How To Contribute
- Comment below, and agree with comments you like.
- Write me an email. ArthWHU@yahoo.com
- Write an email to the podcast to be shared there. Huntingpartypodcast@gmail.com
- Link to articles or ideas from other hunters that may be worth a look. Only one link per comment please…any more than that, and the spam filters tend to flag it.
- Be specific, and follow the rules. If I ask for topics (like I did above) and get a 5-paragraph text dump on how to fix the entire hunter class, you’re going to be ignored. We’re breaking this into manageable chunks, and following a process, for a reason.
Patch 5.4 news is going to dominate the next few weeks, then I figure there will be a brief respite before we start hearing about the next expansion. There’s a window in there that I think will be ideal for this…after major additions to MoP but before Blizzard and their developers are too far into expansion work that our suggestions fall on deaf ears.
I’ll continue to check this article and my email in the coming weeks, so feel free to contribute. And look for more on this project starting anywhere from 2-4 weeks from now.
Best case scenario, we get a few cool things to happen. Worst case scenario, nothing changes but we chat about hunters for the next few months, which is what we do anyway. Hope you guys like the idea. Onward!