Welcome to the Hunter Pet Buffs and Changes page! View all WHU WoW WoD hunter guides.
The hunter’s pet is one of the main features that define our class and Blizzard is doing their best to keep that essence alive for the next expansion by adding new pets to tame and quest lines that allow you to have a tighter bond to your companions. But, of course, with additions and the evolution of our game play comes subtractions of some of those skills and abilities that have become second nature to us. However, this allows you to become a more dynamic player and rethink the way you solo and conquer group content.
New Pet Families: (Images Courtesy of Petopia.com)
As there are several great guides on pages like Eyes of the Beast by Bendak and Petopia highlighting these new pets and families, I won’t go into extreme detail. My goal is to simply give you the bare necessities and a quick reference of what you need to bring to your respective raid groups.
WoD Hunter Pet Raid Buff List Updated for 6.1
Here is a graphical representation I constructed using the changes for WoD condensed to help you centered around pets, but I included all the class buffs for comparison.
For those that like to view a simple chart please click WoD Pet Raid Buffs.
11 Stable Slots to Bring All Raid Buffs
Every raiding hunter should be capable of bringing every necessary raid buff. Here then are the minimum number of pets that you’ll have to have in your stable to bring these buffs, while giving you the maximum amount of spec options — these pets will take up 11 slots in your stable, unless your like me and have to match the pet color to your outfit.
- Stats: Gorilla, Worm (exotic – also brings versatility), or Shale Spider (exotic)
- Spell Power: Serpent or Water Strider (exotic – can replace wolf/hydra)
- Stamina: Rylak (exotic), Goat, Bear, Silithid (exotic)
- Burst Haste/Time Warp: Core Hound (exotic) or Nether Ray
- Battle Rez: Quilen, Moth or Crane
- Mastery: Cat, Tallstrider, or Hydra
- Critical Strike: Wolf, Quilen, Waterstrider, Shale Spider, Spirit Beast or Raptor
- Versatility: Boar, Ravager, Stag, Clefthoof, Worm (exotic)
- Multistrike: Dragonhawk, Wind Serpent, or Fox
- Haste: Sporebat, Wasp, Serpent, or Hyena
- Mortal Wounds: Crocolisk, Scorpion, Carrion Bird, Riverbeast, Devilsaur (exotic)
The Best Pet is Based on Raid Composition
In MoP they gave us the ability to spec any pet the way we wanted, that is not changing in WoD. Just understand that whatever your gameplay is, you will need to switch the pet to that spec. Don’t forget to be sure all of your stable is ferocity in raids.
The best pet is the one that brings the buff that will benefit your raid or 5-man group the most.
Typically, your raid leader will be making this call. In a 5-man you’ll have to make the call on your own, in which case it’s worth familiarizing yourself with the various buffs and debuffs and noting the composition of your group. Perhaps there’s only once spell caster, and so physical damage vulnerability is better. But maybe someone is already bringing that debuff, so now the haste buff is better.
“Alas, there is no easy right answer to the best pet question in WoD: you actually have to use your brain.”~Frost
WoD Pet Abilities: What did we lose?
This is the official RIP section for our beloved pet abilities with the transition into Warlords. The majority of this information is courtesy of an official Blizzard Blue.
The following abilities no longer apply the Weakened Armor effect.
- Hunter Pets:
- Tallstrider: Dust Cloud
- Raptor: Tear Armor
The following abilities no longer apply the Weakened Blows effect.
- Hunter Pets:
- Bear: Demoralizing Roar
- Carrion Bird: Demoralizing Screech
Cast Speed Slows
The following abilities no longer slow the target’s casting speed by 50%.
- Hunter Pets:
- Core Hound: Lava Breath
- Fox: Tailspin
- Goat: Trample
- Sporebat: Spore Cloud
Spell Haste and Attack Speed (Important)
The following abilities now provide a 5% increase to melee, ranged, and spell Haste to all Party and Raid members (previously they only increased spell Haste).
- Hunter Pet:
- Sporebat: Energizing Spores
The following abilities now provide a 5% increase to melee, ranged, and spell Haste to all Party and Raid members (instead of a 10% increase to only melee and ranged attack speed).
The following Hunter pet abilities have been removed.
- Hunter Pets:
- Hyena: Cackling Howl
- Serpent: Serpent’s Swiftness
Hunter pets no longer have crowd-control abilities
- Basilisk: Petrifying Gaze
- Bat: Sonic Blast
- Bird of Prey: Snatch
- Crab: Pin
- Crane: Lullaby
- Crocolisk: Ankle Crack
- Dog: Lock Jaw
- Gorilla: Pummel
- Monkey: Bad Manner
- Moth: Serenity Dust
- Nether Ray: Nether Shock
- Porcupine: Paralyzing Quill
- Rhino: Horn Toss
- Scorpid: Clench
- Shale Spider: Web Wrap
- Silithid: Venom Web Spray
- Spider: Web
- Wasp: Sting have been removed as pet abilities.
This really hurts my heart…my Monkey, Spanx can no longer throw poop.
If you don’t already know, you can get some of the new wolf models in UBRS. I got mine!
Pet Changes: 6.1
- Basilisks: New pet family ability- Stone Scales reduces damage taken by the pet.
- Previously, Basilisks did not have a pet family ability.
- Hydra: Should no longer be excessively large.
- Spirit Beasts: Spirit Beast Blessing now also provides a 5% increase to critical strike chance but does not stack with other critical strike chance buffs.
- Previously, other exotic pet families provided buffs to 2 stats while Spirit Beasts provided only 1.
PLEASE by any means if you see data that needs to be updated or changed, send me a note or comment. Thanks all ~Foxÿ