View other WHU WoW hunter guides. Updated for patch 6.1.
This guide will cover the optimal raid dps hunter spec for level 100 Survival hunters in Warlords of Draenor.
For a raiding SV hunter choosing talents, we traditionally consider which talents will have the greatest impact on single-target DPS. Keep in mind there will be fights where multi-target or AoE DPS matter more, and you’ll want to tweak your SV hunter spec for those fights.
SV Hunter Raid Talents:
- Level 15 Talent: This tier does not impact DPS. Take the talent you’d like.
- Level 30 Talent: Any talent of your choice; note that Binding Shot is a useful talent in some boss encounters.
- Level 45 Talent: Iron Hawk is generally the default raid talent, as it smooths out times of heavy damage, when heals are needed the most by everyone.
- Level 60 Talent: Thrill of the Hunt will generally provide the best DPS, and should be taken when pairing with Lone Wolf, or if there will be any times of multiple targets. With the tier 17 set bonuses, Steady Focus may pull ahead when paired with Focusing Shot, as you’ll have more focus free shots, and less time to cast Arcane Shots.
- Level 75 Talent: A Murder of Crows or Stampede; as it currently stands, both options provide good single target DPS, and the value of either will change depending on fight length and particular mechanics. If the boss is moving a lot, Crows becomes the preferable talent, if on the other hand, the fight will last just under 6 minutes, Stampede will provide significantly greater DPS than Crows.
- Level 90 Talent: Barrage is currently providing the greatest DPS, compared to the other two talents in this tier. When taking Lone Wolf, Glaive Toss may be preferable, with its lower Focus Cost.
- Level 100 Talent: Focusing Shot has the greatest potential for single target DPS, however, requires the movement restrictions will lead some hunters to choose Lone Wolf, as it isn’t very far behind in single target damage, while not having any movement restrictions. With the tier 17 set bonuses, Lone Wolf should pull ahead of Focusing Shot in damage provided.
SV AoE and 5-man Hunter Talents:
When dealing with occasional Cleave needs, SV Hunters can use the single target rotation, simply using Barrage on adds, or keeping up Serpent Sting through the use of occasional Multi-shots. With 4 or more targets, however, the following represents your SV AoE and 5-man talent selections:
- Level 15 Talent: Any talent of your choice. This tier does not impact DPS.
- Level 30 Talent: Any talent of your choice; note that Binding Shot and Wyvern Sting are the generally preferred 5-man choices, depending on your group make-up.
- Level 45 Talent: Spirit Bond is usually best for 5-mans, where you can’t always rely on a healer willing to heal. In raids, though, Iron Hawk will remain the best talent choice.
- Level 60 Talent: Thrill of the Hunt provides the best general and sustained AoE DPS, as it allows more Multi-Shot/Serpent Spread spam.
- Level 75 Talent: A Murder of Crows should be used on targets with 12-15 seconds left to live. Even though it is a single-target ability, it remains our most efficient ability, and when taking advantage of its reset mechanic, can provide great DPS boosts to our AoE rotation.
- Level 90 Talent: Barrage is the general choice for an AoE talents. When paired with Focusing Shot, its high focus cost isn’t too difficult to manage, though it’s important to note that if the focus management causes too much trouble with higher priority shots, Barrage can result in a DPS loss.
- Level 100 Talent: In AoE fights, Focusing Shot provides the greatest DPS boost, in the form of additional Multi-shots, and an easy way to insure the use of Barrage on CD.
The talents that really impact your 5-man or AoE DPS are the level 60, level 90 and level 100 talents. At level 90 Barrage is a must — it is massively superior to Glaive Toss in AoE. For level 60 Thrill of the Hunt will generally serve you best. Though it may be counter-intuitive for AoE fights, which generally require greater movement, the additional Multi-shots you’ll be able to use from Focusing Shot should put it ahead of the rest at Level 100.