Not a comprehensive review…this is after a day of questing and raiding:
- Get yourself the new 522 ilvl neckpiece, available from the Shado-Pan Assault Quartermaster (located at Nizao Temple by the other QMs). It requires exactly zero rep grinding, and is likely the best upgrade available to a lot of us. 1250 valor required.
- “Old” valor pieces are now half price (or 75% for the 5.1 Krasarang factions). But don’t be fooled into upgrading a bunch of 483 gear to 489 or 489 into 496. At Friendly with the new faction, no less than three more 522 pieces become available. If you’re going to be running even just LFR of the new raid, save your valor for a couple weeks.
- I haven’t run with MM yet for comparison purposes, but I’m really enjoying SV. With the single target difference between it and BM fading into RNG, it’s really a one-stop spec for good single target or AoE damage.
- That said, the same problems apply in SV. If you’re AoE spec’d for Thrill of the Hunt, all the various procs (Thrill and Lock & Load) will occupy your time a large portion of the time, and you WILL top out on focus and not be able to do much about it (doubly so <20% on bosses). And even without Thrill, it’s a struggle. Thus, it’s harder to play optimally in my opinion, compared to BM, where focus topping is easier to control.
- As Frost has alluded to, I’m still doing slightly better on the dummies in BM. So there’s that. I haven’t run enough in raids to have had a chance for a good direct comparison in a raid environment.
- Get used to Disengaging with the new glyph. I’m already spamming it like a lunatic for the heals, and this is before it becomes part of my muscle memory.
- There’s a LOT of Kirin Tor daily quests on the new island, though they seemed to have bumped down the average rep gain from each slightly compared to other factions. The faction rewards are 496 items, the same as Krasarang factions. So there may not be as much of a need for some players, unless I’m missing something. Check out the Quartermaster items before diving in.
- Nerf Elemental Shamans! Yes, my sample size is about 4-5 that I’ve seen or run with since the patch. But Chain Lightning spam seems to be enough to top the meters. I’m going to go ahead and say that my approach and opinion is completely scientific, and will protest vehemently in the forums if Blizzard doesn’t fix it. Uninformed forum QQ always works, right?
Still need to try out MM and the rebuilt Powershot. And jump back into Brawler’s Guild to try out the new buffs and abilities. More soon (I hope).