New Tameable Pet: Dire Horn

Posted: by Arth

With Patch 5.2, we’ll also get a new pet family: Dire Horns.

Dire Horns are basically triceratops dinosaurs, and the look will undoubtedly appeal to many collectors.

Keeping in mind that this is all still on the PTR and subject to change, here’s what we know:

• The colors vary, and it looks like we’ll have our pick of several Dire Horns skins.
  • These are not to be confused with the new Dire Horn mounts, which have also been datamined recently.
  • They will have a defensive special ability called Reflective Armor Plating.  Seems situational to me.  It certainly won’t make Dire Horns a “must-add” for hunters who aren’t collectors and only collect pets based off on PvE or PvP usefulness.
  • On the PTR, Dire Horns are NOT exotic.  They can be tamed by any spec.
  • Blizzard has stated that hunters will need to “look for clues” on the beasts.  This likely means they will be in short supply, or there will be a quest line involved.

52model_17_1_1

Amber Parasite Change

For collectors, it’s worth noting that Amber Parasites are not currently tameable on the PTR.  This may be a bug, and we haven’t heard anything on it from Blizzard.  But if you want an Amber Parasite, this may be the last time to do so.

1. I wish that Blizz, during the pet redesign that gave us the ability to choose ferocity, cunning, or tenacity for whatever pet we want, would have also given us the ability to pick between different pet abilities. Leave out the Exotic abilities for the moment (spirit beasts keep their heal, for example) but it would be nice to mix and match some of the other, baseline stuff. Granted, that might mean that everyone always brings a spirit beast if they can both heal and bring any other buff, so maybe it’s a smaller list, like a talent tier.

Consider this: any given pet has a single talent tier of three abilities. You can pick and choose which ability your pat has based on your own preference. So wolves might get the Crit buff they have, but also provide the Physical Vulnerability debuff, and a Movement Speed debuff (they bite your leg and hang on).

For a lot of pets, maybe this wouldn’t matter, but I’d love to have a way to take out my Scorpid and do something with it other than stand around in the Shrine of the Seven Stars since it’s disarm ability isn’t very interesting to me. If I could choose whether it disarmed, or provided the Master buff (for example), or applied a brief stun (by stinging the target), I think we’d be able to get a lot of utility out of pets that otherwise don’t get a lot of screen time.

• Arth says:

This would largely remove the need for taming multiple pets, at least in a functional sense. Different pets would just be vanity pets at that point. While this would be cool for the hunters who want to use a pet whose special ability isn’t useful, I doubt we’ll ever see Blizz move this direction with pet abilities.

• Oh, I know. But there’s already so many pets that are just vanity anyway (Scorpids, Warp Stalkers, most of the flying ones, etc.) especially when the PvP crowd maintains their love of Spiders and Monkeys, even the other PvP related pets are often left with little or no love.

• Sheppo says:

> I wish that Blizz, during the pet redesign that gave us the ability to choose ferocity, cunning, or tenacity for whatever pet we want,

You can change the specialisation for all pets on the fly.

from a PvP perspective it makes perfect sense to keep the special pet-specific abilities locked to the specific pet families. If I’m facing a spider pet in PvP i know what its abilities are. that makes good game design.

• Wolf says:

It’s available already

2. Frostheim says:

Hmm… I think they need to clarify the pet ability description and add that it reflects spells cast from the front that target the dire horn. As it is, it implies that it can stand in front of you and act as some kind of awesome barrier, which got me briefly excited until I realized there’s no way they’d do that : /

• Ril says:

oh noes… i was about to disagree about the “not must-add” part because i thought the same. nevertheless it sounds like an interesting choice for soloers.

3. Moraz says:

OMG that is awesome i want one

Blizzard damn you making all this new cool pets and not increasing stables slots

4. Ravenouschaos says:

While I am excited that there are new pets coming out, my stables are FULL. Collecting only the rare spawns I have no room. They really need to raise the cap. :(

• Ril says:

so much this. while i didn’t hunt as many rares as i could, i made a point of always going for a fancy unique rare whenever i chose to get an additional family. now my stable is full of nice rare pets and i can’t just let them go.

5. Daily ravanger says:

hey guys is there anywhere i can go to aske a specific pet+ ability question

• Arth says:

Probably the best place is Petopia, though you’re welcome to ask here or somewhere more general like Blizzard’s discussion forums.

6. Daily ravanger says:

well i was wanting to talk to the guys on this site i have 5 pets on me at all time bear pig wolf hyena and raptor i often change the wolf for some other buff but back to my question when using stampede it will aplly all buffs and debuffs which is great but its seeming very hit and miss was wanting to see if anyone els was haveing that problem

• Arth says:

I’ve been meaning to test this for other reasons as well, so I’ll let you know what I find (and actually, it’ll likely appear in an article in the next week or two). In theory, they SHOULD cast if you have the abilities set to auto-cast. But I don’t know what the reality of the situation is.

7. Daily ravanger says:

i know growl when on auto cast does cast all together which can be chaos good for solo a night mare for a raid poor tank :P

8. Lumchan says:

Didnt know the amber parasite was tameable. Prolly as close to Shai-Hulud as we’ll get in Wow. Off to tame

9. Huntarddddd says:

I wonder about the raid possibilities with this ability. Seems to me it can be very over powered, unless many bosses / mobs are immune… which would make this a sad case indeed.

10. Prowlspear says:

My bruddas and sista hunters we need unite and demand blizzard give us more pets slots! I got every spirit beast from WoLK and a couple from cata and I not gonna be releaseing dem. I will even say let us able purchase more slots now that seems reasonable! give us more slots so we don’t have let go of our most prized tames that bring back memories!

• Gambite says:

i agree make a stable “bank” in each of the capitol cities and be able to expand our collections. Furthermore Hunter specific feats of strength awards/titles would be nice… e.g the Spirit Hunter …for taming all spirit beasts

11. Lumchan says:

YAY! took 25 kills but got the dinomancer manual and now a blue stripped triceratops…er…dire horn

12. Al says:

i would like to see them up the pet stable limit, with all of the new tamable pets out there, 25 slots are just not enough

13. dire says:

where exactlly do you find these on thunder isle?