Pets, Haste & Ranged Attack Speed

A topic that’s probably worth a bit of clarification — because it is in fact pretty confusing right now — is how pets inherit haste, attack speed, and focus regen.

Pets inherit 100% of hunter haste, and that haste improves their melee attack speed. Sounds simple but, there’s a but.

Hunter pets inherit melee haste, not ranged haste. Now, this does include all haste from haste rating on gear, but it does not include any “ranged haste” abilities like Rapid Fire. It also does not include anything that increases attack speed, or ranged attack speed.

Pets also inherit 125% of hunter focus regen. Thus your pets focus regen rate will always be 125% of your focus regen rate.

This means that if the hunter gets a ranged haste effect like Rapid Fire, this will boost the hunters attack speed and focus regen. The pet does not get an attack speed boost, but does get the extra focus regen.

Personally, I think this is an odd system that’s only going to confuse people. Hunters are a ranged class — our pets inherit our ranged attack power after all, why not inherit our ranged haste?

1. Hua says:

it’s like they just overlooked this particular stat isn’t it?

2. Zeherah says:

Well it’s actually very understandable why pets don’t inherit ranged haste in the case of focus fire- that one is designed to be a tradeoff where the pet loses attack speed but the hunter gains it. In the case of rapid fire, I suspect it’s also a bit by design in that the concept is the hunter is firing rapidly. Steady focus they probably just thought would be too powerful if the pet also got it. I can’t think offhand of any other cases of ranged haste only bonuses but perhaps I’m forgetting something.

That being said, I agree that it’s extremely weird that pets benefit from the extra focus regen but not the haste itself in these cases (the first two anyhow, steady focus is attack speed and not haste so no focus regen comes with it).

3. Anonymous says:

Rapid fire does effect stampede pets focus regen, which is why I use RF before stampede

4. Willetl says:

Oh I disagree so very much. Pets, by their very action are a melee class. They get in close and do the damage. This is one of the things that make Hunters superior. We draw the targets attention and our companion gets in there and tears them to pieces.
    Hunters=ranged killing machines
    Pets=in close killing machines
    The combination = the best damn class in the game.

5. Flint says:

I quit trying to make sense of what Blizz is doing to Hunters this Xpack.

• Jaromor says:

I feel kinda sad that Frost doesn’t comment on that… I could understand he maybe doesn’t wanna rush into “QQing”, but it’s not like simcrafts didn’t hint there is an issue coming our way. Now WOL logs are showing it in “all beauty”. :(
      4 hunters in Top40s from all 6 bosses in MSVaults (10/25 N/H)… Thats 4 hunters among 960 DPSers – 0.0041 – 0.41% share.

Well, to be fair, the early Simcraft did not show anything like what we’re seeing now — largely due to the fact that many classes had worse theorycrafting than hunters.

I’m working on a dps analysis article now and while hunters are low, they aren’t horrible (others have it worse). We need a bit of a buff, and mages sure as hell need a nerf.

• Jaromor says:

This is the kind of early signs I am talking about:
        …at that moment I was thinking “OK,, those are machined data, Blizz says their numbers look differently”. :/

And as for others having it worse, which class would it be?

I play pure DPS class, so dmg done in raids is what matters for me, and WOL DPS rankings are the least crappy* way to judge that… Unless I forgot some DPS class then only shammys are close to the **itty state we are in right now, and even they (being a hybrid class) have one guy sitting at #1 spot in The Spirit Kings 25N.

*) I do realize several potential limitations of WOL but still it is significant enough amount of data to provides the least fuzzy image of how the DPS classes are doing. 4 records among 960 is bad enough in my opinion…

• Jaromor says:

Just to clarify why I think DPS rankigs are actually telling something, despite majority of us never reaching the top spots: those numbers show what the class can do when geared to the (current) max lvls and when played properly.

Keep in mind we aren’t really interested in #1 spots — more how our class is capable of performing at a high level over all, which is why Raidbots shows the top 100 parses and makes it easy to see the average or median of the top 100 (I much prefer median as a metric).

When you look at that across 10N, 10H, 25N, 25H, Monks are certainly doing worse than hunters. We’re still consistently low compared to other classes — I’m not arguing that — but we’re not last and we’re not disasterously low (we’re not as low as mages are high, for example).

• Jaromor says:

About not being #1 – I don’t cry for that… That’s why I said there are 4 hunters in those *twenty four* Top40s. 0 hunters in Top10s (last week) would be alarming IMO, but if there were like 3-5 hunters in every other Top40 I wouldn’t probably bother moaning. But 4 in 960 ppl…? :/
        But yh, enough said, points have been made. :)

About monks: my bad, didn’t check. “But I’m sure they deserve it anyways.” :)

• Kode says:

Great post Frostheim. I didn’t know about that other than expertise and Hit rating. Now I know what my pets needs in the loving area. If pets inherit range haste, I figure probably everyone will be on the Haste Plateau rat race and Marksmen will become a more viable spec over current Beastmastery Hunters. Then again, if the design can focus that haste mechanics with the attack speed of our ranged slot weapon…

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion only as a raider, competitive raider, raid lead and guildmaster experience. Not generalization of the community.

Personally, I do not find numbers and statistics about us hunters been in top DPS charts hold absolute creditability about the class because, these numbers can be boosted as a whole through variable setups with your fellow players.

Hence, I have to agree on the emphasis about how socially responsible we are for our beloved class be it in raid or/and dungeon. Figure out how our class design has been taken into effect in our game-play first over our damage dealing capabilities. Because we know we can outdps anyone if we want to, short of been a jerk aka not paying your dues ;p It is easy to dps, easier to perform utility roles but to do both, this is what makes us hunters. Unfortunately for most of the current wow community, we are not viewed this way. But fortunately so, this is what is so fun and unique about our class. The challenge about adaptation and balance. Heck, Priests have it tougher than any class community out there, we do better.

I also have to nod in agreement with Flint as well. Blizzard is at loss about our class in terms of balance at the moment. I vehemently disagree about Bestial Wrath changes that is not recognized imho as a solution to balancing our class. That, is(soon to be was) our signature as Beastmastery Hunters.

• Iridar says:

I agree, you shouldn’t use parses to judge state of DPS. Every class has it’s share of bad players, and I think it’s a lot tougher to be a good hunter, then anyone else.
        Parses would be affected by that.

Instead, look at your own parses and compare your DPS to that of other hunters, this will help you get better, and maybe then hunter dps won’t look so horrible to you.
        I rarely see anyone ahead of me on my server, because I work hard to excell at DPSing. Instead of complaining try to work with what you have.

• Jaromor says:

> because, these numbers can be boosted as a whole through variable
        > setups with your fellow players
        yes, but that applies to *all players*, so still, all classes should be *roughly* appearing there with similar frequency… that is not the case atm

• Jaromor says:

> Instead, look at your own parses and compare your DPS to that of other hunters…
        in other words you are saying I should not care about state of our DPS

6. Flint says:

Compare your own parses not the top player parses? Huh? What? Are you drinking elven light brew? Put that stuff down; it’ll make your beard fall out.

Of course you want to compare DPS of the top players. They are the least likely to have bad players. You take the median of the top players you can see where Hunters fall on that list and then apply it to regular players and figure where the Regular Hunter should be on in comparison of other regular players.

• Iridar says:

What I mean is that it is OK for a regular hunter to be below regular destruction warlock, who has only 4 buttons to push.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t care about our state of DPS, I’m saying it’s no use complaining about it, so we might as well relax and enjoy being raped.
      Even when blizzard listens to community, they usually implement changes in unexpectedly screwed up way.

• Iridar says:

Currently, I don’t believe we need a specific boost in DPS, what we need is simplicity. Current whac-a-mole rotation is boring and annoying, we have too many buttons to push, whilst managing concentration is a challenge of it’s own.
        Abilities have too many restrictions.

We don’t use dire beast if target is about to die,
        we don’t use barrage and powershot at all,
        we have to have our pet near target to use lynx rush,
        we have to be sure that target will take full damage from murder of crows and they can’t be cast back to back,
        we have to use explosive trap even on one target and we have to be sure that target will remain there
        and so on.

And we have to use these abilities to remain on par with others.

I’m not saying we should be mindless machines who push same buttons no matter what, but we sure need to lighten the load.
        I personally liked survival rotation in late cataclysm, where explosive shot cost 44 focus and always having concentration for it was a challenge of it’s own, not too complex, yet interesting enough.

• Jaromor says:

> I’m saying it’s no use complaining about it, so we might as well relax and enjoy being raped.
        I see this as fundamentally wrong approach. It is called a feedback when done on Blizz forums, and a debate when done anywhere else. I do both, and we should namely do the first one.