Help Autism with Video Games

In a very rare moment of spirit that extends beyond our class, I am going to suggest take a moment to support druids. Not feral druids, of course.

Actually, we’re talking about supporting research into helping adolescents with autism via video games. Lissanna, well-known druid of Restokin.com, happens to also be a researcher in the psychology department at Penn State. She is working to raise funds to use video games to help kids with autism better recognize faces, and help develop social skills.

This is a big deal.

They have already done some research with this that is showing positive results, but the educational video game they’re using is not really a game — it’s an educational activity. Their goal is to develop an actual game, so that it engages the teenagers. And to do this, they need our support. More specifically, our money.

So this weekend before you run out for the hottest black friday deals and geeky goodness, first consider tossing a few bucks to a WoW community member working to improve the real world in a meaningful way.

Toss a token ten bucks their way, and lets show what the WoW community can do to. You’ll be supporting good research that does good things, and research that shows how video games can be a force for good in the world.

You can donate to the project at this crowdfunding site, and you can also help by spreading the word. But seriously, how hard is it to cough up ten bucks? And for the record, I’m chipping in for this cause as well.

1. Absol says:

A worthy cause. I lol’d at the beginning when i thought the article was stating all adolescent druids had autism after the 1st line of the 2nd paragraph. The 2nd line cleared it up, but I was still smiling while reading the rest of the article.

• lissanna says:

I’m pretty sure that Autism impacts the families of those who play many different classes. Even if Autism doesn’t impact you, I would still appreciate the support. I want to show the world that video games can be used as tools for solving important problems! :)

2. Prowl says:

as a man who grew up with autism and my usual craziness video games help me get through life and was my escape from the real world and the somewhat closed minded individuals who inhabit it.

3. Flint says:

Good Cause, great fun. I’m in.

4. Boadiccae says:

As an inner city educator in Nashville (I teach art to elementary students and see 600 children a week) I applaud your research and will be donating! Over the past 20 years of my career at this particular school, I have seen the numbers of autism spectrum children grow in ever increasing numbers. Currently in ONE of my kindergarten classes, 4 fall within that range with 2 more as yet untested. Makes for an interesting class ! Thank goodness my husband is a child psychologist (and WoW player), as he has been an invaluable asset to my arsenal of classroom management techniques (not to mention my sanity)! I will also be linking this to our guild’s FB page and haranguing my guildies to help as well. Keep us posted and let me know if there are other ways in which we can help!

5. Bob says:

This is a great worthy cause and I will spreading the word.