This is a guide to pet tanking in Mists of Pandaria. It is not intended for advice on soloing, PvP, PvE, leveling, etc.
You’ll want to be Beastmaster spec’d of course — Kill Command gives BM an unquestionable threat advantage for pet tanking. Then for our talents, several tiers don’t have any meaningful tanking choices. We’re only going to look at those with relevant choices. On the rest, do whatever floats your fancy.
Lvl 45 Talent:
The idea here is that Spirit Bond represents more overall healing, particularly because you’ll never get the full benefit of a 100% pet health heal and may not always need it every time it’s off cooldown, and it’s also one less cooldown to manage. However, Exhilaration will come into play on fights that are relatively easy except for brief periods of intense damage. Exhilaration will also be GREAT when paired with Last Stand.
Lvl 60 Talent:
- Recommended – Fervor
While not the most efficient talent (you’ll often not get the full benefit of focus regen), Fervor is the only talent at this level that directly helps our pet. It also is not on the GCD, so it’s easy to weave in as needed (or macro to shots if you’re feeling a bit lazy).
Lvl 75 Talent:
I <3 Blink Strike. It’s a great way to start a pull; it hits like a truck; and it’s a quick way to switch targets. It’s a big win for tanking. Lynx Rush is also powerful, and will be best for holding multiple mobs. As hunter tanks, we shouldn’t often be trying to hold numerous targets, we should be CCing instead. But it will still have occasional use.
Here’s where things get interesting. As opposed to PvE, which saw glyphs become more about play style and less about “right or wrong,” pet tanks have numerous excellent options for their Major Glyph slots.
- Glyph of Animal Bond – This is something of a no-brainer. 10% extra heals, especially with skilled healers in a group, is a bigger boost to a pet’s survivability than anything else we could do.
- Glyph of Mending – Our own heals are very powerful, and you should have near 100% uptime on Mend Pet.
Others in the running:
- Glyph of Distracting Shot – I like this glyph, because it provides some interesting utility. But it’s not a solution for low threat. However, it will have situational use.
- Glyph of Misdirection – More a quality of life glyph than a necessity, there will nonetheless be times when this helps to shore up threat on a secondary or third target on larger pulls.
- Glyph of Mend Pet – Only useful when your pet is frequently getting detrimental debuffs. A situational play.
- Glyph of Endless Wrath – Unfortunately, this causes your pet to drop aggro. Not viable for tanking.
- Glyph of Revive Pet is the only one I can see having any potential function. The rest are cosmetic.
Some of this advice may fluctuate as I test more. But it should do well in preparing you to tank.