This is a guide to pet tanking in Mists of Pandaria, primarily for instance tanking. It is not intended for advice on soloing, PvP, PvE, leveling, etc.
In this order (for a BM tanking hunter):
- Hit / Expertise (to cap)
- Mastery (for threat) / Stamina (for survivability)
Technically, either Mastery or Stamina will be more important than the other. But this is very contextual. Can you hold aggro? Are you staying alive? What’s more important in the content you’re tanking, or the group you run with? The answer will vary.
Our crits will grant our pet extra focus, so it gets the slight edge over Haste.
If you have new information on this, please share in the comments. As it is, I don’t think avoidance stats are transferring to pets despite some early promises for MoP, though I still have to test it.
- Flask of Spring Blossoms – The tooltip is wrong, it actually gives us 1,000 agility, not 298.
- Or Flask of the Earth – just a “survivability or threat” issue again. Choose accordingly.
Many won’t have immediate access to the best food or feasts. Adjust accordingly.
- Runescroll of Fortitude III is handy to have. Our current Runescroll II will suffice in a pinch.
- Same with Drums of Forgotten Kings. You won’t need them in raids, but they are useful in many 5M’s.
- Heavy Windwool Bandage – Another faulty tooltip (as of my writing this). This will heal for 96K over 8 seconds.
Gems, Enchants & Reforging
There isn’t much to say here. Follow the stat priority list and you’ll be fine.
The lone curveball is that you’ll want the Austere Primal Diamond as your meta gem. While our normal dps meta gem (Agi. + Crit chance) helps slightly with threat, this will more directly impact the survivability of our pets.