This article is part of an ongoing series on how to tame all of the rare hunter pets, including how to tame all of the spirit beasts in the game. If you don’t have them all, this series is a perfect time to pick them up — most of the Wrath spirit

Skoll

beasts are pretty easy to come across these days. With the much lower competition, they’re often just sitting there waiting to be tamed!

The only actual taming challenges for hunters came with the new hunter pets (including new spirit beasts) in patch 4.2. For Skoll the real challenge is just finding him in the first place. Skoll is a rare spawn spirit beast using the spirit beast version of a wolf model. Even though he kinda looks like a wolf, Skoll does not have the wolf special abilities: Skoll is considered a spirit beast with the same abilities as all spirit beasts.

Skoll does not have any special tricks needed to tame him. Once you find Skoll just drop a Freezing Trap to hold him still and keep him from attacking while you begin to Tame Beast. Remember that you must have a free slot in one of your 5 mobile pet slots in order to tame a new pet. If you are full up you can either transfer one to your permanent stable at a stable master, or abandon one of your pets by right-clicking on your pet portrait and selecting Abandon.

Finding Skoll (lvl 80 – exotic)

Skoll has 3 potential spawn points in the Storm Peaks.  It should be stressed again that Skoll is a rare spawn, and will not always be there. In fact, most of the time he won’t be there — the thing that makes the spirit beasts so rare is the fact that they rarely spawn.

Targeting Macros are a tried and true method of locating rares. Typically someone hunting Skoll might make a macro: /tar Sko and then fly around the area spamming the macro. If you suddenly see Skoll’s portrait appear as your target, you know he’s nearby.  However, targeting macros as a way of spirit beast hunting require a lot of button spam, which can get annoying when some of these beasts have respawn timers that are several hours (or days) long.

For those wishing to alleviate this burden, there’s NPCScan, an addon that does the exact same thing that targeting macros do (with the same range), but without all the button mashing. With NPCScan you can be alerted any time a rare spirit beast is nearby, without having to mash buttons all the time.

Taming Etiquette:

• If there are two or more hunters camping the same spot, try to work it out instead of fighting over a tame.  This usually ends with the animal dead, and neither hunter with the tame.  If an agreement cannot be reached, suggest rolling for rights to it.
  • If you see a rare pet and don’t want it (or you aren’t a hunter, but then why are you reading this?), tell a friend who has a hunter and might be interested.
  • If someone gives you the same courtesy and tells you about a potential tame, offer to tip them for it.

Respawn Timers:

We’d be lying if we said there is a definable respawn timer for most rares.  Scour forums and news sites and you’ll find wildly conflicting anecdotes.  The likeliest scenario is that most rares are on variable spawn rates, perhaps dependent on RNG numbers.  Only a few fall within a definite range, and Skoll does not appear to be one of them.  If you have data that contradicts this, I’d love to hear it and would happily include evidence in this article.  Otherwise, pinpointing a respawn timer even approximately is, unfortunately,  guesswork.

1. Beergasm says:

Practicing those copy and paste skills this week eh? Here’s a tip for hunter engineers. If you don’t want to camp for these pets but just do a quick sweep of them daily, make a northrend wormhole generator use it to check the Northrend zones once a day for rare spawns.

• Arthemystia says:

Frost wants each pet separate and in a similar format. has to do with search engines and generating more hits for the website. So yeah, not the most exciting work I’ve done for the WHU, but still needed.

2. Gossamer says:

I’m glad you added the part at the end about courtesy. Because that seems to be particularly lacking lately.

3. Esaul says:

I just wanted to say thank you for this. I went out expecting to wait hours to find him, took me two minutes. So thanks. ^_^’

4. Sidoen says:

First time I saw Skoll (when wanting to tame him) I found him as a corpse. Was excited when NPC Scan went off the first time I went out to get him. Then it took about 3 weeks of going out there nearly every day, this was after Cata. I was either very unlucky or a lot of people found him first. I suspect I just had the wrong end of the spawn cycle.

5. Sidoen says:

Even though Frost wants these in a similar format doing one spirit beast after another looks almost as tedious as I’m sure it was to write. Perhaps alternate pet types so you aren’t putting up the same stuff over and over again.

There are a lot of old world rares that are not spirit beasts and which do require some planning if you are not lvl85. Pride Lord Humar can be tamed at a much lower level, however his spawn location is surrounded other cats. If you are equal level you will need to sneak in there, climb the tree and keep his spawn location free of other mobs while you wait.

So there are examples you can work on that might help you get away from the feeling that you are copy pasting. Every pet I own is rare or special in some manner, I didn’t like summoning a standard model pet when I had a rare one in my stable it didn’t make sense, so I spent a few weeks and replaced all of my pets.

Take a look at Death Ravagers, you NEED someone else (at level 10) in order to tame this one, it’s impossible otherwise, no matter what level you are.

• Arthemystia says:

Soon we’re doing the last of the spirit beasts as well as some popular rares. We can’t cover ALL rares, there’s too many. But the most popular will be included. In any case, yeah it’s a bit tedious, but the uniformity is because taming guides are among the most commonly searched-for articles on WoW sites. So these aren’t really as directed at the hardcore WHU crowd so much as the casual browser who might find one of these as their introduction to the WHU.

But yes, I’ll be mixing it up soon, and thank you.

6. Skaadi says:

Saw Skoll for the first time the other day, unfortunately dead!..
    next morning, another Hunter had just beat me to it and tamed him..ay least i know he’s around!

I have all the new challenge pets now (Argent Dawn), plus got lucky with Arcturis and King Krush, both today : ))

7. soultaker says:

this one really hard one… too many people wants it….never see him yet… hopes lucky comes future…

8. soultaker says:

i got it!! he is so famous and so many people want it, log out at one of the spawm points, and try to see him few days later at the morning time got it, early morning is the best, everyone is sleeping~~ hehe, good luck hunters!!

9. Mitsuki says:

Little observation about the Wrath rares… They seem to have a tendency to spawn either on :00 (more often) or :30.

Would be nice if someone could share their own observations on this.

10. Envy says:

Just as a heads, I can absolutely confirm that Skoll’s spawn timer can be less than the often publicised 10-12h.

On Silvermoon-EU I started camping him when my hunter dinged 80 on Wednesday. Today I could devote most of the day to it, so I logged in, fired up WoW with a clear cache and waited.

At 1648 server I went outside for a cigarette, leaving myself hovering over the Snowdrift Plains spawn point. At 1650 NPC Scan picked up Skoll. At 1655 I got back to my computer and had a heart attack. He was long gone, tamed by some non-smoking hunter.

I left it six hours and came back on at 2245 server. Camped most of the evening with a friend from guild, asked around in general… the friend logged out around 0120 server… and again, at 0140 server, my NPC Scan gave me a heart attack. This time I was at my computer. The spawn point was Snowdrift Plains again. And then he was mine!

So given that he didn’t spawn between those two times, that leaves it at 8hr, 50min this specific time. So if you see his body or do something as profoundly stupid as I did, don’t wait too long to start checking again.

11. Hundrid says:

So i have my oown story anout skoll, one day i was on a luck streak with getting spirit beast! I tamed ghost crawler, gondria, banth’ alos (this was my second one) and then articus! I was like might as well go check skolls area since i was gettin so lucky! I go past the first spawn point of skoll! Boom! I find him, out of too much excitment i went down to take him without knowing that i had my other pet that i just tamed 5mins ago…-.- on assist…so i try to tame skoll and he leaped towards me and my pet just naturally killed him…-.- i was so devistated….but i just found him today when i randomly logged in before going to bed and nowni got one of the coolest spirit beast in wow! :D but now i gotta find loque..-.- if anyone got tips to find him ill take em all lol.

12. Dragonfighte says:

I rlly love Skoll and this helped me allot finding this cool guy now i hope ill find louqe or Gondria!

13. chris says:

Was hunting for Skoll when I ran into another hunter who had been looking for him a lot longer than I have. I figured he should get the tame and decided to help. Suddenly, some moron comes on general chat to announce that he had just killed Skoll. Sure enough, he was not lying. I know it’s just game, but games are supposed to be enjoyable. It isn’t fair that idiots like this can get on and totally ruin it for others. I mean…some of us have lives and can’t be on for hours. I felt so sorry for the other hunter. I hope he gets his chance for the tame soon. Please, gamers, show some common courtesy for others. I remember running across another gamer who left their toon in the path of an elite monster. I defended him, nearly dying myself, until he was logged out. Then he came back on later and continued playing. I never told him how many times his toon nearly ended up in the graveyard, lol. See? Common courtesy. It’s just a game, but helping others in something so small tells a lot about a person.

14. Chris says:

Hello, fellow hunters. I have been trying to find Skoll for a long time now, but I am way too busy with work and other obligations. During the weekend, I had some time to wait for Skoll to spawn, and another hunter came. I could tell he had been looking for Skoll for much longer, so I decided to help him. At that moment, some idiot came on general chat and said that he had just killed Skoll. It was confirmed he was telling the truth. I know this is just a game, but we play games to escape the cruelties of reality. Then … a moron like this reminds us again of what makes us want to escape in the first place. Common courtesy … it’s much harder than being inconsiderate. For example, I ran into a player who was afk and in the path of an elite monster. Not sure why he left his toon there, but I hated for him to return to his corpse :P So … I fought the monster nearly 5 times and nearly died myself until the player finally dc’d due to inactivity. He came back on later and continued playing, oblivious to what happened while he was away … and I left it like that. I just like to be a helpful and kind person. I believe when someone shows goodness even in the smallest of things, it speaks volumes about their true characteristics as a person. Not bragging … just wishing more people would think about the consequences of their actions before doing them.