Karoma

This article is part of an ongoing series on how to tame many of the game’s rare hunter pets, including how to tame all of the spirit beasts in the game. If you don’t have them all, this series is a perfect time to pick them up.  Apologies in advance for the same-ish nature of many of the taming guides.  A necessary evil to cover the same relevant information in all the guides.

Karoma is one of the “at-launch” Cataclysm spirit beasts, and is a very easy tame.  Once you’re safely in some level 85 gear, simply find him (the hard part) and Tame Beast. Remember that you must have a free slot in one of your 5 mobile pet slots in order to tame a new pet. If you are full up you can either transfer one to your permanent stable at a stable master, or abandon one of your pets by right-clicking on your pet portrait and selecting Abandon.

Karoma is a spirit beast, and comes equipped with Spirit Beast abilities once tamed.  So don’t let the wolf appearance fool you.

This is 1 of 2 spirit beasts I have managed to tame (I have horrible luck with rares, but have guildies whose alt hunters have 5-10).  I have also seen him an inordinate number of times on my hunter, and have had others point him out in guild or trade chat more often than any other spirit beast.  This is anecdotal, not evidence of a short spawn timer, but the fact that we can do relevant questing for rep, gold, and (early on at 85) gear, means that Karoma isn’t a bad spirit beast to look for if you want to target a single one to add to your collection.  Because really, what are we doing that’s useful at the bottom of Vash’jir, or back in Northrend?  It’s much easier to justify this as part of a “multi-tasking” approach to taming.

Finding Karoma (lvl 85 – exotic)

Karoma has a few hotspots for spawn points in the Twilight Highlands.  He is, however, a rare spawn and will not always be around.

Targeting Macros are a tried and true method of locating rares. Typically someone hunting Karoma might make a macro: /tar Kar and then swim around the area spamming the macro. If you suddenly see Karoma’s portrait appear as your target, you know he’s nearby.  However, targeting macros as a way of spirit beast hunting require a lot of button spam, which can get annoying when some of these beasts have respawn timers that are several hours (or days) long.

For those wishing to alleviate this burden, there’s NPCScan, an addonthat does the exact same thing that targeting macros do (with the same range), but without all the button mashing. With NPCScan you can be alerted any time a rare spirit beast is nearby, without having to mash buttons all the time.

Taming Etiquette:

• If there are two or more hunters camping the same spot, try to work it out instead of fighting over a tame.  This usually ends with the animal dead, and neither hunter with the tame.  If an agreement cannot be reached, suggest rolling for rights to it.
  • If you see a rare pet and don’t want it (or you aren’t a hunter, but then why are you reading this?), tell a friend who has a hunter and might be interested.
  • If someone gives you the same courtesy and tells you about a potential tame, offer to tip them for it.
  • Singing “Ma-ma-ma-MYYY Karoma!” is totally appropriate after taming him.

Respawn Timers:

We’d be lying if we said there is a definable respawn timer for most rares.  Scour forums and news sites and you’ll find wildly conflicting anecdotes.  The likeliest scenario is that most rares are on variable spawn rates, perhaps dependent on RNG numbers.  Only a few fall within a definite range, and Karoma does not appear to be one of them.  If you have data that contradicts this, I’d love to hear it and would happily include evidence in this article.  Otherwise, pinpointing a respawn timer even approximately is, unfortunately,  guesswork.

1. Hulder says:

“Singing “Ma-ma-ma-MYYY Karoma!” is totally appropriate after taming him.”

I lol-ed at that. And I wonder how many of the younger folks even get the reference? :-)

2. Tikio says:

I’m glad they brought back this model for hunters to tame. Hunters are so awesome, we can even tame a shaman’s wolves lol. I wonder if there are any hunter/hunter/restoshaman arena teams out there with this pet for both hunters just to confuse the other team lol.

3. Valacia says:

I liked my method, happened just a couple days ago actually.
    Step 1: Idle in SW
    Step 2: Random whisper from random shaman
    Step 3: portal to TH
    Step 4: tame beast
    Step 5: Win! (thanks random shaman!)

4. Hierakles says:

If you happen to be in the area, don’t forget the check for Sambas!

5. Wehrwölf says:

article> If an agreement cannot be reached, suggest rolling for rights to it.

Thats a good way to settle who gets to tame. Thank you for the heads up
    and a almost as funny as Weird Al :D

Since I am a hunter and believe in sharing, if I see any rare in an area, I will put out a say in general chat that I see such n such and does any hunter want to tame it, then whisper me for location. If that doesnt work, I look for hunters to whisper them. So far, helped to give away 3 Karoma’s and 2 Sambas’.

6. Volair says:

Maybe all spirit beasts are exotic? But as a newbie hunter I wasn’t aware of this so while I stumbled upon Koroma, I didn’t have a BM spec so couldn’t tame him :(

Might be a good idea to post whether or not its exotic in these articles.

Thanks.

• Arthemystia says:

A good suggestion, thanks. It’s hard to catch everything on the first go-through with a lot of articles, so I appreciate the ideas. I’ll update the spirit beast articles sometime soon.

7. soultaker says:

my next target its SAMBA!!! Karoma its fine also to tame, but Samba!!!! i love this Samba!!

8. soultaker says:

Samba de Janeiro!!!!

9. Tokersrus says:

This made me sad. I jumped through hoops to have this pet long before cata…sad panda.

10. gentlemarti says:

Okay, so…I just tamed him on my first attempt even *looking* for him. Pretty stoked. Found him just to the East of Bloodgulch as shown on the map above. Good luck to the rest of you!

11. Yacuzie says:

oh yes… got karona.. after a loooooong waiting and much flying

12. Menecazo says:

Just tame Karoma at 11:40 pm ST SE of Firebeards patrol. (most videos i checked on youtube show this as the main spawn spot) on Ragnaros, the spawn sems to be higher than 24 hrs,(couldnt find any info on a previous catch before mine, but i was camping the beast for 2 days) half an hour every 3 hrs since 8:25 pm 2 days ago.

13. Menecazo says:

Regarding the spec you need, for catching all cata Beats

Karoma seems that Karoma is the only exotic beast of the rares.

14. Mavali says:

Tamed at 12:12 AM PST on US- Tichondrius at the spot near Firebeard’s Patrol

15. Anonymous says:

When i find karoma, it says creature not tameable. Why?