Ghostcrawler

This article is part of an ongoing series on how to tame many of the game’s rare hunter pets, including how to tame all of the spirit beasts in the game. If you don’t have them all, this series is a perfect time to pick them up.  Apologies in advance for the same-ish nature of many of the taming guides.  A necessary evil to cover the same relevant information in all the guides.

[Frostheim note: this is the one spirit beast I actually have -- happily Ghostcrawler was there the first time I went looking.]

Ghostcrawler is one of the “at-launch” Cataclysm spirit beasts, and is a not-so-subtle self-reference from Blizzard, named after the infamous man behind the blue posts.  The in-game Ghostcrawler even comes with his own special Nerf Bat ability.

Despite the Nerf Bat, the only real challenge is just finding Ghostcrawler.  Once you’re safely in some level 85 gear, there’s no chance of him killing you during the tame (though he is immune to traps).  Ghostcrawler is a spirit beast, and comes with the same abilities as all spirit beasts once tamed (alas, he doesn’t retain Nerf Bat).  So don’t let the crab appearance fool you.

Ghostcrawler does not have any special tricks needed to tame him. Since you can’t trap him, simply Tame Beast. Remember that you must have a free slot in one of your 5 mobile pet slots in order to tame a new pet. If you are full up you can either transfer one to your permanent stable at a stable master, or abandon one of your pets by right-clicking on your pet portrait and selecting Abandon.

Finding Ghostcrawler (lvl 85 – exotic)

Ghostcrawler at least has the decency to have an easy path for us to follow when searching for him.  He is, however, a rare spawn and will not always be available.

Targeting Macros are a tried and true method of locating rares. Typically someone hunting Ghostcrawler might make a macro: /tar Ghostc and then swim around the area spamming the macro. If you suddenly see GC’s portrait appear as your target, you know he’s nearby.  However, targeting macros as a way of spirit beast hunting require a lot of button spam, which can get annoying when some of these beasts have respawn timers that are several hours (or days) long.

For those wishing to alleviate this burden, there’s NPCScan, an addonthat does the exact same thing that targeting macros do (with the same range), but without all the button mashing. With NPCScan you can be alerted any time a rare spirit beast is nearby, without having to mash buttons all the time.

Taming Etiquette:

• If there are two or more hunters camping the same spot, try to work it out instead of fighting over a tame.  This usually ends with the animal dead, and neither hunter with the tame.  If an agreement cannot be reached, suggest rolling for rights to it.
  • If you see a rare pet and don’t want it (or you aren’t a hunter, but then why are you reading this?), tell a friend who has a hunter and might be interested.
  • If someone gives you the same courtesy and tells you about a potential tame, offer to tip them for it.
  • Remember to thank Ghostcrawler for letting you tame him.  Then ask him if rogues deserve nerfs.  Because you think they do.  Large, sweeping nerfs to all specs.  And PvP.

Respawn Timers:

We’d be lying if we said there is a definable respawn timer for most rares.  Scour forums and news sites and you’ll find wildly conflicting anecdotes.  The likeliest scenario is that most rares are on variable spawn rates, perhaps dependent on RNG numbers.  Only a few fall within a definite range, and Ghostcrawler does not appear to be one of them.  If you have data that contradicts this, I’d love to hear it and would happily include evidence in this article.  Otherwise, pinpointing a respawn timer even approximately is, unfortunately,  guesswork.

1. Furrymammoth says:

I would suggest starting the tame at max range

2. Kaneli says:

It’s worth noting that due to his ghostly nature Ghostcrawler likes to disappear and then come visible again during his walkies. I was not aware of that when I was first macro-targeting him and it was rather confusing. :)

3. Tikio says:

This is probably the easiest spirit beast to get because he is in an area there no other npcs or quests to do in that area. I found him quite easily and only took me a total of 10 minutes ( a minute here, a minute there to check if it had spawned). With all the rares in the game, I wish we had more stable slots because I’m running out of space to put all these beasts lol.

4. Saniel says:

Track Beasts also works well here, as there’s nothing else in the area for it to pick up. If you see a yellow dot, it’s him.

5. Felsong says:

I have to agree with Kaneli. His disappearing act can be fairly tricky if you don’t know he does it.

6. Rddragon says:

GC is definitely easy to nab, given that his spawn area is not used at all for much of anything. I had to do no camping…he was just wandering around when I flew over the area.

7. Sidoen says:

It took me about a week or so to find him. I just put him into NPCScan and logged out/in at the area, swam around for a while and then took off to do whatever.

I recommend swimming around at least twice before deciding that he is or is not present at the moment. On the day that I found him I had already determined that he was not there.

8. Nadindel says:

yeah we really do need mroe slots, my stable is allmost full, only about 3 slots open

9. Thryst says:

The upside of ghostcrawler is that because of his nerf bat, he really isn’t that easy (if even possible) to kill, more often than not he’ll be there. Got him the first time I checked and then on the first check for four other hunters in the guild.

10. Omogon says:

I am pissed that he loses his “nefbat” once tamed. I would love to have a crab for PVP that would thump my opponent with a nerfbat…….once tamed he’s just another spirit beast :(

11. Thornagol says:

I don’t know if this makes me a bad hunter or not, but if I see a Spirit Beast about to be tamed by a hunter in the opposite faction, I will kill the Spirit Beast rather than let it be enslaved and used as a trophy by someone on the other side. Granted, I’m on a PVE server and I would take out the opposing faction hunter if he is marked for PVP before killing a gorgeous spirit beast.

Does that make me a bad hunter?

• Arthemystia says:

A murky area. I’d say you’re ok, since there’s no clear answer here.

• BalrogV72 says:

No, I’d say you’re being a prick for it. Another hunter who worked probably very hard at camping those pets has some jackhole come along and kill it because “OH HE’S PART OF THE OPPOSING FACTION”. Are you serious?

“I will kill the Spirit Beast rather than let it be enslaved” that quote killed me. Do you take this game so seriously that you would deny another person the satisfaction of a personal accomplishment. Do you really believe that another hunter with a spirit beast somehow mistreats his pet? Do you know for a fact that he doesn’t feed him all the time, makes him try to take on bosses in dungeons that will one shot him? I mean, really? REALLY?

Go post that question on the petopia boards and see how much love you get.

Personally, people who do that or have done that to me I would love to meet in person and break both their wrists so they could never play the game ever again.

• Arthemystia says:

Be careful with responses like this. He was only asking a question, and clearly feels conflicted about it. I’d be more worried about someone taking the game too seriously who would “love to meet them in person and break both their wrists.” I take that as the embellishment that it likely it, not as a literal threat, but it still stoops lower than we ever should, regardless of our conflicting opinions.

Some people take the Alli/Horde aspect of WoW very seriously. Many in our community hold other hunters to be in a higher league against “support” classes (we Frost jokingly calls them). Some will help anyone, others only when they feel it is justified. Who are we to say which should take precedence?

Remember to keep comments civil. We’re all here for the same reasons, to improve the state of our class.

• Raeptiem says:

In no way would that make you a bad hunter. Pay no attention to the nay-sayers. I’d try to kill the pet even if the hunter was of my own faction if the pet had yet to be marked. free lewt.
      An opposite faction hunter doesn’t even get that much. The pet would die even if the person playing him were have a stroke mid-tame. I’d rape his pet, him, and tea bag his corpse since he’d probably be dead by then (no running back for him!). Then I let his family know that he realized what a foolish horrible blunder he had committed. His dying wish was for them to finance a faction change so that he could forever rest in peace beside Thrall.
      I’m not such a bad person, though. I would periodically stop by his grave and help fertilize the grass…. screw you alliance!

• Anonymous says:

it makes you an asshole

12. BalrogV72 says:

Screw civility if you go around killing a stupid pet if you think you don’t want them to be “enslaved”. The very thought process behind it does not warrant any form of civility and the person doing it is just being a bully. I fight fire with fire and the majority of players in WoW are Hide-behinds. That is, for those with limited brain capacity, bullies who like to torment others because they’re too cowardly to do it in person…thus they can be big and bad in a videogame because the real world prevents them from doing so. I won’t take my ‘break their wrists’ comment back at all for I truly would do that if I had to opportunity to meet some of the idiots who play this game in person.

13. Jon says:

Sorry you feel that way Balrog. While I don’t agree that killing a rare that is in the process of being tamed, what you would like to do is just as bad if not worse. It’s just a video game, not the end of the world.

14. soultaker says:

i will try him later, first Samba~~~~

15. soultaker says:

i got it, not really hard, maybee far away, first time been there and get it, a little bit hard to see him clear, it is small and appear and desapear in seconds, need pay a lots of attention, suggest tamer to use Ctrl+V, good luck

16. Horcon says:

How to tame Ghostcrawler on Darksorrow EU (high pop)
    1. go to vashir
    2. swim to the area with the Ghostcrawler
    3. watch it go around without waiting more than 3 minutes

17. Tass says:

have all of you done all the Vashir quests? or have any of you who have Ghostcrawler just done up to getting Sealegs and quit and quit the quest chains to move to hygal? trying to figure out if he is Phased but nowhere seems to have that information. having spent 4 days looking for the pet that everyone seems to easily get I am thinking he may be out of Phase with me ;(

18. Nightazure says:

I tamed him tonight after a couple days of camping and helping a hunter friend in my guild tame him. He’s nostalgic for me. I had no idea who he was until I read an article about Ghostcrawler leaving blizz. I will miss him, as do many, and wish him well :D

My pet is a fond remembrance of him, and I’m happy to have this special pet.

Nightazure – Lightbringer

19. Nightazure says:

Tass, Im not sure about the quest line. He does phase in and out. When you see in in the sand crawling along and he disappears, note which way he was going, and go up a few feet ahead where he was moving and he will appear again. The best thing you can have is your “track beast” enabled. You will see the yellow dot when he shows up.

I don’t think he’s so easy to get, its more like watching for that yellow dot, and following him even after he fades out of view for a little while. It took me two days of several hours looking for him, for him to pop up :D Best wishes to tame this sweet little guy.

Nightazure – Lightbringer