How to Tame Madexx

Posted: by Arth

Madexx

This article is part of an ongoing series on how to tame many of the game’s rare hunter pets. If you don’t have them all, this series is a perfect time to pick them up.

Madexx is not the hardest of tames.  He is, however, unique among even rare tames for one reason.  He can spawn in 1 of 5 different colors.  Three of these colors are unique Scorpid colors (Red, Blue, Green).  The other two (Black, Brown) are obtainable through non-rare tames.  Despite these possible colors, Madexx does not change between them once tamed (as some pets do, usually between 2 colors).  He will stay as whatever color he spawned as.

Finding Madexxis the biggest challenge.  After that, simply cast Tame Beast and enjoy your new companion.

I would find it particularly awesome to ride the new Cataclysm scorpion mounts (only for Horde, if memory serves…suck it, Alliance), and also have Madexx out.  Such badassery is generally reserved for hunters anyway, but it’s a nice use of our perks.

Finding Madexx (lvl 84 – not exotic): Spawn Points

Madexx has a few potential spawn points in Northern Uldum.

Despite the close spawn locations, you may want to use a targeting macro. Typically someone hunting Madexx might make a macro: /tar Madexx and then swim around the area spamming the macro. If you suddenly see Madexx’s portrait appear as your target, you know he’s nearby.  However, targeting macros as a way of hunting require a lot of button spam, which can get annoying when some of these beasts have respawn timers that are several hours (or days) long.

For those wishing to alleviate this burden, there’s NPCScan, an addonthat does the exact same thing that targeting macros do (with the same range), but without all the button mashing. With NPCScan you can be alerted any time a rare is nearby, without having to mash buttons all the time.

Taming Etiquette:

• If there are two or more hunters camping the same spot, try to work it out instead of fighting over a tame.  This usually ends with the animal dead, and neither hunter with the tame.  If an agreement cannot be reached, suggest rolling for rights to it.
  • If you see a rare pet and don’t want it (or you aren’t a hunter, but then why are you reading this?), tell a friend who has a hunter and might be interested.
  • If someone gives you the same courtesy and tells you about a potential tame, offer to tip them for it.

Respawn Timers:

We’d be lying if we said there is a definable respawn timer for most rares.  Scour forums and news sites and you’ll find wildly conflicting anecdotes.  The likeliest scenario is that most rares are on variable spawn rates, perhaps dependent on RNG numbers.  Only a few fall within a definite range, and Madexx does not appear to be one of them.  If you have data that contradicts this, I’d love to hear it and would happily include evidence in this article.  Otherwise, pinpointing a respawn timer even approximately is, unfortunately,  guesswork.

1. Islay says:

Is Maddexx exotic? I’m dual-spec MM/BM, but really usually run with MM – as its the spec I know better. I’ve got a few exotic pets with the BM tree, but don’t find myself often needing them in raids much. There’s another BM hunter in our groups usually.
    Anyways – so thats why I’m wondering. Is he exotic? :D

• Fayjin says:

Nope, Madexx is not exotic. So he’s out there to tame for hunters of all breeds and types.

Arthemystia, good work with all the pet taming guides. I may suggest you mention explicitly on all guides whether the beast is exotic or not. I’m another hunter that doesn’t usually run as BM, so it would be much appreciated.

• Zagosman says:

Jadefang Ghostcrawler are the only rare of the hard one that are exotic and ofc ankha magria banthalos, skarr karkin solix kirix skitterflame anthraxx deatilac aint exortic eather i belive there are 11 spirit 5 spiders 5 madexx terrorspine jadefang ghostcrawler then ur at 24, ill go for autona as last just since its damn beutefull

• Zagosman says:

no he aint exotic, got the blue one as last he got about 4-6 hour spawn, to tame him is easy challenge is all 5 gl to u all

2. Fayjin says:

There’s always room for improvement, so here’s my feedback on these guides.

How about a ‘Quick Facts’ box directly below the main pet image?
    Something that lists name, spawn co-ordinates, exotic (yes or no), available colours, etc, all with direct hyperlinks to the appropriate WoWHead/WoWpedia page.

I think it would really improve the guides and make them much more ‘digestible’ for someone scanning through all the guides.

My $0.02 worth :P
    Fayjin – US-Shattered Hand

• Arthemystia says:

Not bad. There’s often too many spawn coordinates to easily list, so maps are usually better. Also, many of the paragraphs are specifically infused with “buzz words” to increase search engine hits, since we want hunters to find not just what they’re looking for but a lot more hunter info, so it’s unlikely that the general format will change. A “Quick Facts” box as a supplement to these guides might work though, just not as a replacement.

3. Risingwolf says:

Madexx has been a difficult one for me. Now, after a year of searching for my Green Madexx, I finally have him. I have tamed all the colors but the one I really wanted was green and he alluded me for a year. I saw the other colors so many times I could scream but the fun thing is telling your hunter buddy that the color they want us up and summoning them to make their tame. I helped numerous hunters make this tame… grats to us all.

4. Good informative post. I will visit your site often to keep updated.