4.2 gives us a few new trinket options, but since Frost’s last trinket guide, many of us have also acquired heroic level trinkets that will be competing with the next batch. After discussing with Frost his theorycrafting technique for assessing trinkets (which is essentially heavy doses of femaledwarf with numerous settings tested, then tempered with some independent research, paper napkin math, and common sense) I set to work cataloging the heroic trinkets and the new ones from 4.2.
The standard disclaimer here is that these things vary slightly depending on spec, gear level, and stats level. Hit may be useless to you even with reforging, or you may be near a haste plateau. These can and do affect dps, meaning that there’s no right answer 100% of the time. However, what we CAN do is find the best trinkets most of the time for most hunters. The new ones are listed below, and a summary of the current trinkets we’re still considering is included as well.
The 4.1 Grab Bag
Competing with the new trinkets will be (in this order, for most):
What is lost in direct comparison with the procs for Prestor’s and Essence is that:
- Haste is slightly overvalued in spreadsheet settings due to the movement in boss fights. Frost has gone on at length about this phenomenon, and how it can lead to misconceptions about dps.
- Prestor’s is on a 75 second ICD, Essence is only 50 seconds. I mined this data from two separate sources (EJ being one) since I don’t have either myself.
So Essence is the clear winner between those two. The heroic version of Essence is very, very close to Fluid Death. But Fluid Death will actually provide slightly more agility despite the lower ilvl (I’m ignoring ramp-up time, which is negligible in boss fights). Assuming we’re reforging the hit to crit on FD, that gives us 193 hit + 128 crit. Essence is 435.6 crit, assuming optimum uptime. It’s close, but if you’re using the hit, that and the agility make Fluid Death superior.
Ricket’s Magnetic Fireball
This will be a part of the new daily quest factions, not a raid. It’s an on-use trinket, which are generally worse for us than on-equip ones, and works out to a measly 283 crit on average. It’s also less agility than anything listed above, which is the biggest determining factor in our gear decisions. If you were unlucky with drops or are getting back into raiding in 4.2, this will be a great way to catch up. For the rest of us, it will be better than most of our non-heroic trinkets, but still beneath even Prestor’s (heroic).
Ancient Petrified Seed
The same idea as Unsolvable Riddle in the current patch, and just as disappointing from a comparative standpoint. The on-use means we’re only looking at an average of 319 agility, on level with ilvl 359’s that most are wearing right now. Mastery is a variable stat, and not the best for any spec at the moment, though 383 is indeed a lot of it. Another “better than blues” trinket, but nothing to seek out specifically.
Finally, a trinket worthy of the new patch. But take a good look, are we past Fluid Death yet? On agility, yes, slightly (383 to FD’s 380 once fully ramped). The ICD also appears to be a generous 1 minute, with a 15 seconds proc, working out to a possible 383 haste on average. Whether or not you value this over Fluid Death will likely depend on your hit and haste situation.
Not quite Deathbringer’s Will level of broken (/shakefist at never having won that back when it was unstoppably good), but 406 agility on the non-heroic version?! Fittingly, this will drop off of Ragnaros, so it will take many of us some time to grind toward it. But it’s worth every bit of that effort. Nothing but the worst of proc rates or ICD’s will stop this from being a no-brainer BiS…which, coincidentally, I couldn’t dig up the numbers for. If anyone has ICD or proc time info for this trinket, feel free to share your math and/or source. The agility alone makes it a safe recommendation, however, so there’s little worry in valuing it over the others.
The Final List
- Matrix Restabilizer
- The Hungerer / Fluid Death
- Essence of the Cyclone (Heroic)
- Prestor’s Talisman of Machination (Heroic)
- Ricket’s Magnetic Fireball
- Ancient Petrified Seed
- Various 359’s like our Darkmoon Card (which got a substantial mid-patch boost, followed by a bit of a nerf) and the non-heroic Essence will still compete with Ricket’s and Seed (on an unscientific eyeball test, I wouldn’t replace them with the Ancient Petrified Seed). This list is not intended to be comprehensive, however, simply to familiarize players with the new trinkets and form a rough ranking to make decisions easier.
- Heroic versions of the Restabilizer and The Hungerer would obviously top the list (as #1 and 2, respectively).
Now, once Frost gets the dwarf porn off his computer, he’ll be back to writing more. Hopefully this helps pick up some of the slack in the meantime.