Welcome to Tapington’s first Hunter PvP guide — we’re starting off with the very basics in this 3-part series with how to gear for PvP (including hunter pvp gems and enchants) and going over all of the possible pvp racials available to our hunter.

Many more hunter PvP guides are in the works and will be going live very soon!

Hunter PvP Part 1 Contents:
1. Racials
2. Gear
3. Enchants
4. Gems

1. Racials

Alliance:

Human – Every Man For HimselfRemoves all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character. This effect shares a cooldown with other similar effects. 2 min cooldown.

The human racial acts as a PvP trinket and opens the door to many different trinket options. You can go double PvE trinket for mass damage, or run with double PvP with the on-use and proc for a mix between resilience and damage. One of the better racials if you have access to crazy PvE trinkets.

Night Elf – Shadowmeld - Activate to slip into the shadows, reducing the chance for enemies to detect your presence. Lasts until cancelled or upon moving. Any threat is restored versus enemies still in combat upon cancellation of this effect. 2 min cooldown.

Shadowmeld is one of the more interesting racials in the game. It has the unique ability to make you drop combat, kind of a faux feign. It used to also make you “immune” to spells or abilities casted on you at the same time you use Shadowmeld but that was removed in a past patch. Still a useful racial to drop target for a few seconds.

Dwarf – StoneformRemoves all poison, disease and bleed effects and reduces all damage taken by 10% for 8 sec. 2 min cooldown.

Stoneform is a great racial if you happen to be the target other teams train(which is most often the hunter). And you grow in size. How awesome.

Draenei – Gift Of The Narru – 40 yd range
Heals the target for 20% of their total health over 15 sec. 3 min cooldown.

A pretty “meh” racial.

Worgen – DarkflightActivates your true form, increasing current movement speed by an additional 40% for 10 sec. 2 min cooldown.

Amazing racial for mobility, great for battlegrounds and is quite useful in arena.

Tap’s Commentary: The human racial here stands out for the sheer amount of options it opens up for you. The dwarf racial is again a great defensive racial if you find yourself being the target, but not too useful if you aren’t the target dummy of the team. Darkflight is very viable for either battlegroup or arena usage, but pales in comparison to the human racial. I’d recommend Human for a rushdown comp, and Dwarf for comps where you find yourself the target the most.

Horde:

Orc – Blood FuryIncreases attack power by 1169. Lasts 15 sec. 2 min cooldown.

Can’t go wrong with extra ap.

Undead – Will of The ForsakenRemoves any Charm, Fear and Sleep effect. This effect shares a 30 sec cooldown with other similar effects. 2 min cooldown.

One of the better racials. Very useful since spriests and warlocks are a hunter’s bane.

Troll – Berserking - Increases your attack and casting speed by 20% for 10 sec. 3 min cooldown.

Decent with Rapid fire. Stacks for crazy Aimed Shot casts.

Tauren – War StompStuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yds for 2 sec. 2 min cooldown

Not too great for a hunter to be honest. You’re rarely meant to be in melee range.

Blood Elf – Arcane TorrentSilence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 sec and restores 15 of your Focus. 2 min cooldown.

Goblin – Rocket Jump – Activates your rocket belt to jump forward. 2 min cooldown.

Another good racial for mobility. Can be amazing for eating traps that would otherwise cc your healer for 8 seconds, getting away from that warrior chewing your ass, or even get around that corner to get a kill shot on the fleeing mage.

Tap’s Commentary: For Horde you’ve got the choice between a fear breaker, a rocket jump, and a silence. It really comes down to playstyle and what you feel you need for your comp. Overall, I would choose Human for Alliance, and Blood Elf for Horde, but feel free to play with what you think looks best. There’s no point playing a race you don’t like the look of.

2. Gear

When it comes to gearing for PvP, it’s pretty simple. A flowchart would look like “Does it have Resilience? No? -> Don’t use it. Yes? -> Use it. Rinse and repeat. However with the slight resilience nerf in patch 4.1 expect to be seeing a few PvE pieces here and there. Rings/neck can be subbed out for 372 pieces, and you can run with 4/5 PvP and either PvE pants or other substantial piece.

What To Get First:

- Trinkets – The ~300 or so resilience from trinkets easily makes them the first purchase for your PvP set, as it’s the biggest upgrade.
- Weapon – A major upgrade if you’ve just recently dinged. it only takes about 2-3 weeks to get the points required to get the 359 bow. It’s important to note that 2h is far better than 2x1h due to stats.
- Main set – The 2 set and 4 set bonuses are great and should be attained first before any other offset gear.
- Everything else. – Rings/Offset etc.

How To Gear:

- Arena – First and foremost, and I cannot stress this enough, fill your conquest cap every week. Get those 5 wins! It’s the easier way to gear up.

- Battlegrounds – Any will do, just sit in the back and shoot stuff. Try to help your team and don’t farm HKs in mid, as tempting as it is to go 1vX and walk away with 110% health like I know you can, you’re better off being a team player. Hunters offer so much crowd control in battlegrounds and a few clutch traps and silences here and there can win the battleground for your team.

- Crafted sets – I wouldn’t really recommend these. On Saurfang they’re extremely expensive(1k+ a piece) and get replaced with Bloodthirsty very quickly. Next season when vicious gear will be on the honour quartermasters, expect to see crafted sets die out.

*Important*Reforging and Stat Weights:

Marks/SV: Hit (until you are at the 5% hit cap)> Agility > Crit > Mastery > Haste.
BM: Hit (Until you are at the 5% hit cap) Agility > Mastery > Crit > Haste.

For Marks and SV, reforge your haste/mastery into crit where you can, and for BM, reforge haste and crit into mastery where you can. Do not drop below 5% hit.

Trinkets:

PvP/Main Trinket:

- Use this or the Bloodthirsty counterpart. Note that the upgrade from Bloodthirsty to Vicious trinkets is very low, and should be the LAST thing you upgrade from. Upgrade all your other Bloodthirsty gear into Vicious before upgrading Trinkets.

Alt Trinket:

- Vicious Gladiator’s Badge Of Conquest(or Bloodthirsty)
- Darkmoon Card: Hurricane
- Vicious Gladiator’s Emblem of Tenacity
- Vicious Gladiator’s Insignia of Conquest
- Essence of the Cyclone

Tap’s Commentary:

The Main trinket is pretty straight forward, a chunk of resilience and a pvp trinket. The Alt Trinkets on the other hand are abit trickier. Above we have 2 on-use and 3 proc trinkets, but which one to go? Most of it has to do with playstyle, do you want a higher sustained damage or burst on demand? It’s entirely up to you and what you think feels better with your comp.

You could put the 5 above trinkets into 2 categories, Defensive and Offensive. I would highly highly recommend Essence of the Cyclone for those who have access to it, and the on-use Badge of Conquest for those who don’t. Now, for those who have an Engineering glove enchant, using your gloves will cause a 10 second cooldown where you can’t use your on-use trinket. This is why I am running with a proc trinket instead of on-use, because I run with the Synapse Springs enchant.

For those human hunters out there, I would recommend EotC and on-use Badge or Proc+On use.

3. Enchants

Head – Arcanum of Vicious Agility
Shoulders – Greater Inscription of Vicious Agility
Back – Enchant Cloak – Greater Spell Piercing
Chest – Enchant Chest – Peerless Stats or Enchant Chest – Might Resilience(Poor hunter’s enchant)
Bracer – Enchant Bracer – Agility or Enchant Bracer – Critical Strike(Poor hunter’s enchant)
Gloves – Enchant Gloves – Mastery or Heavy Savage Armour Kit(Poor hunter’s enchant) Engineers get Synapse Springs
Waist – Ebonsteel Belt Buckle(Gem with 40+agi)
Pants – Dragonscale Leg Armour or Charscale Leg Armour – Choice between offensive/defensive, though I would go with Charscale because of how well Agi scales.
Feet – Enchant Boots – Assassin’s Step or Enchant Boots – Earthen Vitality(Poor hunter’s enchant) *NOTE*: We’re using movement speed enchants on the feet because we’ll be using the Agile Shadowspirit Diamond Meta.
2h – Pyrium Weapon Chain
Ranged – Gnomish X-Ray Scope

4. Gems

Tap’s Commentary

In full PvP gear, you will have 1 meta, 3 red slots, 3 blue slots, 3 yellow slots and 1 prismatic. You’re also going to want ~170 Spell penetration so your magical shots and some damaging shots wont get resisted.

Meta slot – Agile Shadowspirit Diamond

Red slot – (JC)Delicate Chimera’s Eye – (Non-JC) Delicate Inferno Ruby

Blue slot – Stormy Ocean Sapphire and 1 Shifting Demonseye

Yellow slot – With the changes in 4.1, hunters generally wont be gemming yellow slots with resilience, rather they will use Deadly Ember Topaz

****Coming Soon™.****

- 1v1/2v2/3v3 Guides

- A run down on class abilities(Hunter, and others) When to use what and how.

- Video tutorials

- And much much more! Only @ Warcrafthuntersunion.com

1. pants says:

A great way to begin. Very useful for us PvP virgins!

• Map says:

Great post, now finally will have a chance on not sucking at PvP

TY Tap

2. Juniez says:

There it is :> yay!

3. Omogon says:

Some very excellent information there. Thanks :) may I offer some constructive criticism……There is a LOT of information in your article and many of us are pvp “noobs” so (for me at least) a bit less raw information and a bit more explanation would be in order. For example: Why the weapon chain vs the agility enchant on the 2hander ? Would not the ton of extra agility out weigh the chance of getting disarmed? I don’t know…I’m just asking :)

Thanks very much for taking on this job.

One last thing………you forgot about the most important Dwarven racial…..awesome good looks ;)

• Brock says:

Play one game of any type of PvP and you will see why you want the weapon chain. Disarms make you totally useless for the duration, and there is nothing you can do about it.

• Olang says:

You can use deterrence and bandage :-)

• Tapington says:

Being disarmed for 10 seconds is much worse than missing out on a little bit of agility.

• Vendikar says:

Would you rather lose the agi and stamina + stats(including the 130 agi enchant) or still have your weapon in hand?

Just asking :P

• Werefox says:

because in pvp you can get disarmed and you suddenly cant do anything

• Raven says:

I have to disagree on the weapon enchant but I understand the reasoning. I’ve only been disarmed a handful of times and each time I’ve used disengage.

• Cat says:

Pyrium Weapon chain reduces time the your are stunned or dazed… This become very useful for us hunters because were always suppose to be ranged… Usually for us hunters warriors locks mages etc always try stunning us because as soon as we get ranged we always do a TON of damage… Therefore the Pyrium Weapon Chain would be best… plus with all the armor you get from PvP you could easily stack agil gems and get the amount of Agil u want/need

4. pacjag says:

Excellent. I have been waiting for this. What about the leatherworking wrist enchants?

• pacjag says:

Oh, also, any specific recommendations for glyphs?

• Tapington says:

Will be included along with pets and pet talents in the upcoming “Talent Spec” guides.

• Hulder says:

I’m glad you’ll be posting on pets. I didn’t dare ask the question here, cause I could already hear a chorus of “sporebat!” answering me, tee hee :-D

• Tapington says:

I couldn’t find them on wowhead. Obviously if you have access to a profession that allows you a better enchant, use that instead.

5. nemhaahz says:

Question about reforging BM. Thought mastery was worst stat for BM. PvP different from PvE? Or is Frost wrong in his guide? Keep up the great work!

• Brock says:

Yes, stat weights are different. BM wants their pet to hit as hard as possible.

• Tapington says:

I don’t have much experience with BM in PvP, being that it is a very sub-optimal spec, especially when you compare it to MM, but mastery seems to be the go for BM, Crit is okay, Haste is horrible, but mastery would increase the damage the most, especially during the crucial burst window of Bestial Wrath.

6. Mano says:

I hope you post 2 posts per day (1 your post the other one Tapington’s post) cause if you’re going to post that much, and postpone it when there’s a new PTR that you right about or some other cool stuff, it’ll take us really long to get ready for PvP :(

7. I-CEE says:

pure class mate well done can not wait for 2v2 guide been hovering at 1350 rating for 5 weeks grrrrrrrrr need some tips me thinks

8. Lirithiel says:

Pardon my ignorance but I’m not too clued up on 4.1 changes so why the 20 Agil 20 Crit instead of 20 Agil 20 Res gems? I read up on the hunter’s guide on Arena Junkies and there they recommended either 40 Res gems for yellow slots or 20 Agil 20 Res as an alternative because Resilience is our friend.

Then you are the second person to point out that BM should chase as much Mastery as possible. We all know Mastery is pretty pooh for all 3 hunters specs so why boost Mastery for PvP?

Good article, keep em coming.

• Tapington says:

“Resilience scaling has been modified for linear returns, as opposed to increasing returns. Under the new formula, going from 30 resilience to 40 resilience gives players the same increase to survivability as going from 0 to 10. Resilience now scales in the same way armor and magic resistances do. A player with 32.5% damage reduction from resilience in 4.0.6 should see their damage reduction unchanged in 4.1. Those with less than 32.5% will gain slightly. Those with more will lose some damage reduction, increasingly so as their resilience climbs.”

Mastery just boosts BM damage better than haste, I would run around half/half crit/mastery.

• Aldax says:

How much res is 32.5%? Is that the amount we want in 4.1?

9. Lirithiel says:

Oh also there is some debate about how much Spell Penetration we need. Some say 170, others 190 while yet others go for 220 (Paladins & Druids IIRC).

Can you expand on that slightly pls? Personally I went for 220 SP as Paladins and Druids are hard enough to kill as it is.

• dis says:

also, where do you go to get spell pen after the cloak enchant? I’ve been using 20/20 resil/spell pen gems in my blue slots, would I be better off going full spell pen there until I hit 170+ (currently sitting at 130)?

• Lirithiel says:

As pointed out by Tapington use the Stormy Ocean Sapphire (Blue gem 50 SP). Two of them plus the cloak enchant gets you to 170.

• Brock says:

MM and BM can go for 190, SV can go higher, but can live with 190. You just need to look at the amount of spell resist that skills give to players, and try to overcome that. Most skills only give ~100 resist, but pallys and shammys can get 195 resist from their elemental resist spells, hence the 190. Mages can go as high as 239 resist.

• Tapington says:

170 Is NEEDED <– use this one.
      190 is difficult to obtain without poor gemming
      220 is overkill.

10. Lirithiel says:

About the Hit cap – what number is 5% exactly and do you still need 7% to hit those sneaky sneaky NE’s? I know for arena its not as important but in BG’s there seems to be a lot of them floating about still.

11. Dorianchika says:

Fantastic… Thanks for the advice on the speed of which it takes to get weapons in Arena. I never realized that.

@Tappingtion – If we already have a Bow or Xbow from raiding, should we get the 2H first?

• Tapington says:

The weapon isn’t a great upgrade, but I’d probably get it after ranged weapon > trinkets > mainset 4 piece > 2h > offset+rings etc.

12. Sofeladese says:

Just wanted to mention the orc 5% pet damage racial, which is a fairly substansial amount of mastery’s worth, and their 15% reduced stun duration. Most stuns are short to begin with, so that extra bit off can make some of them quite negligible.

13. Papaoomowmow says:

Thanks Tap!

A side note on the assassin’s step boot enchant. A maelstron crystal goes for way over 2 thousand on my server.while earythen vitality foes for about 8 gold. I’m all for mini maxing but that gap is beyond silly for now. So it is the poor earthen vitality for me…I’d rather it be poor than I be poor :)

• Tapington says:

It’s 6k per enchant on mine, and my hunter has about 80g.

14. Ajani says:

Just started with the arenas yesterday and i’d recomend it to everyone, it feels awsome to purge those sneaky rouges and feral dr00ds, on topic, very good and informative guide. I’m looking forward to the future video guides!

15. Trivia says:

I think a segment of your next post needs to be dedicated to spell penetration. What it does and doesn’t affect.
    good job on your first post. ^__^

• Tapington says:

Arcane shot, Chimera Shot/Explosive Shot, Cobra Shot, and Scare beast is the reason you get 170. It doesn’t apply to traps though, which is a bummer.

• Trivia says:

yes I know ^^. I just noticed there is a lot of misconceptions and also, I saw, different theory as to the ‘cap’.
        Until recently, i thought spell pen worked only for the traps >_<
        I just hate it, the traps get resisted to way too often in my opinion.
        What I did is that i put a gemcrafter's gem of +81 to spell pen and basta. I saw a real difference and I figured it'd be less of a loss in agility to gem this way that loose multiple gem spots. but maybe i'm wrong.
        Also, I got my pvp gear at the very beginning of cata and my mate the mage said 'oooh, sweet, a cape with spell pen'. So i thought i'd wait to get it and then found out i had no access to spell pen stuff, which is outrageous … really.
        /rant
        again, good stuff ^^ I'm off ready part 2 now :)

16. Branzilla says:

Tapington — I found this to be an EXCELLENT guide. Well-written and comprehensive without being too wordy. Great way to make a splash with your first post as pvp contributor and to confirm that Frost found a good choice for the job!

17. Flower says:

It seems the Gnome racial is missing.
    Overall a very nice post, keep it up.

• Flower says:

nm. just realise you only covered the hunter races :)

• Holykrapp says:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the gnomes are without a hunter class.

18. rddragon says:

Nice first post….and I’m soooo glad to have this info. But as others have said, some of us are pvp noobs, so try to avoid any form of shorthand (I hate having to search the back through an article to try to find what “HK’s” are).

But overall good job…this info is much needed and the only missing piece to this site. Bravo!

19. NecroSen says:

Pardon if I missed something, but you’re recommending Engineers go for the Synapse Springs on their gloves, which state on Wowhead that they give an Intellect boost. Is the tooltip mistaken on this?

• NecroSen says:

Nevermind, I see the other tooltip you put up for the springs – Agility increase. My mistake.

Time to complain to Wowhead for an incorrect post. :P

• Akkal says:

Yeah, this is a recent change with the last patch: They used to only provide intellect, but were changed to provide your highest stat instead. So yay for that =D

• Parbear says:

The in-game tooltip is also bugged. There’s one that states that it grants 0 intellect, which is probably why Wowhead has that one listed.

20. jrdnthms says:

for the 2h weapon wouldn’t agility be better after the patch cause you can just pop deterrence and wait for the disarm to fade?

21. Omogon says:

When 4.1 comes out deterrence will work with no weapon equipped…now if you are disarmmed it won’t work AFAIK.

22. Ragemonster says:

Does this post mean we all need to drink a fifth tonight?

23. Steele says:

Not sure why any hunter would gem spell pen. There was a rumor that it would help with trap resistance. On MMO champion in an ask the Devs. section that question was posted. Blizzards reply was that spell penetration does zilch for hunters and zilch for traps. I guess you could for Arcane shot? I have been pvp’ng since this xpac launched, no spell pen. gemmed (LOL) and trust me, I do more then fine in BG’s and Arena. Orcs for Horde all the way. Their reduction of stun duration is very nice and don’t forget the increased damage their pets do. Hugely OP if you are BM in PvP. Besides that, no real man or hunter would roll a Belf.

Spell pen helps your magical damage shots, which is a lot of them — not just arcane, but chimera, explosive shot, cobra shot, etc.

• stick804 says:

From looking at all the top rated hunters in the Arena ladder and rated bg’s, ALL the hunters are stacking 220 spell pen. Is there something more to spell pen than what we know? I know Tap mentioned 170 (needed), 190 (difficult to obtain w/o poor gemming), 220 (overkill), but is there some sort of hidden math involved? Brock mentioned some interesting numbers about certain classes spell resist. Maybe because of certain class compositions, a 2v2 or 3v3 team can resist up to 220. So that’s why we need to stack 220 spell pen? More info on this topic would be much appreciated. Thx guys!

• Tapington says:

I’ll go into further detail about the numbers I posted, because it seems we’re not all yet on the same page about spell penetration. Spell penetration affects a lot of hunter shots, as well as abilities(but not traps). For example, Chimera, Explosive, Arcane, Cobra, Tranquilizing, and Scare Beast are the ones that come off the top of my head, which are affected by spell penetration.

When I said 170 was needed, that really is the minimum you’re allowed to run with. But as for my statement about 220 overkill, I revoke it as it’s incorrect. Paladins can have up to 195 resistance due to the auras, and that extra 25 spell resistance doesn’t affect our damage on them by any significant amount, but against a mage, they have ~240 resistance with mage armour. The HARD CAP is 240, but there’s really no point going over 220, just to do an extra 1% damage on a chimera shot to a mage, as there is no point in going for more than 170, to do very little more against a paladin.

I’ll add this into a further guide, but you can quote me on this. Spell penetration for all specs = 170 MINIMUM. 220 RECOMMENDED. The reason as to why I said 220 would be overkill, is with the 4.1 change to Glyph of Frost Armour, mages wont really be using mage armour that often, but to be safe and sure your shots will hit to maximum effect, gem for 220. 3x Blue 50+ Spell pen and a cloak enchant. I will update the guide to reflect this.

24. czbear says:

Great article, choc full info. In my years of PvP fun I never got serious about gearing until now. I am coordinating a 10M RBG group.

I did notice your reference to BGs :)

Interestingly last week after going on one of my writeup missions for a guild post, which results in me getting about 4 hours deeper into Strategy then would be needed, I happen to be sitting on a comprehensive Hunter CTF Battleground Strategy writeup.

Let me know if you are interested in checking it out.

-Atlantya

• Tapington says:

I’d love to check out any in-depth BG guide. Feel free to contact me in-game or send an email and I’ll check it out.

25. MrGigglez says:

Great post sir, helped me out alot. I’ve got a question, do you plan on joining the podcast or will you just be posting here?

• Tapington says:

We’ll have to see what frostheim says about it. :)

26. Copk says:

Hey, thank you very much for this guide, one thing I dont understand :

“Tauren – War Stomp – Stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yds for 2 sec. 2 min cooldown

Blood Elf – Arcane Torrent – Silence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 sec and restores 15 of your Focus. 2 min cooldown.

One of the best racials around. This baby can turn the tide of a battle or seal the kill against the other team by silencing the healer, or even saving your own by silencing one of their dps.”

Both require to be at the same range to the enemy, why do they get a totally diffrent rating ?

Cheers

• Tapington says:

One of the things I hate about the tauren racial is that you have to be stationary to cast it, since it’s a 0.5 sec cast and not instant. I find in most comps the stun is on DR more often than the silence is. It’s up to visual preference to be honest. Racials will only win you one game out of a hundred. Gear > Comp > Map > RNG > Skill wins the other ninety nine.

27. Reddevil says:

Just curious if you could help me but im trying to figure out which is the better trinket to use as MM for a 2nd trinket. I’m torn between essence of cyclone and darkmoon card:hurricane. From what ive read dmc has no internal cd so its a nice sustained trinket if that is true.

• Tapington says:

If you have both, DAMN! go human and run with both of them! :P Preference really, try both out and see which you prefer, the damage proc, or the burst from the crit rating.

• Reddevil says:

The only downside i see to the burst from the crit rating is at the higher rated teams the matches are not as quick and the burst window is not open long. So i plan on using the on use resil agi trinket and one of the ones I have. Once the heroic essence of cyclone drops I plan on trying that for awhile.

28. BumRuckus says:

I guess this means Frost needs to add a PVP section under “Cataclysm Hunter Guides.” Great work Tapington thanks for joining the community of Dues Payers =D

29. Thompson says:

Great info for hunters new to pvp!

I was (shamefully) unaware of how useful the pyrium weapon chain enchant for the 2h is, that makes the pesky 10 second rogue disarm so much more bearable while my healer is cc’d and I can’t deterrence (at least until next patch).

I just race changed to goblin and I have to say I am LOVING that racial, both because of its offense and defensive advantages… I love being able to web + disengage the mage that is los’ing me and my warrior, having rocket jump available while disengage is on cool down makes for more opportunities to secure a kill on a target LOS’ing around a pillar.

Can’t wait for future guides and info, thanks for the post!

30. Hulder says:

Awesome guide, thank you! Since I’m raiding on my priest at the moment (I know I know, shame on me, right?), I’ve been thinking of trying PvP on my hunter so the timing on this is great for me!

Keep up the good work, Tapington :-)

31. Bahzob says:

Great start, thanks very much.

32. Lirithiel says:

Thx for clearing up the resilience thing Tapington. And all this after I dropped the one Stormy Ocean Sapphire for a Delicate Inferno Ruby last night and told a mate of mine to do the same after your initial response…but I feel better knowing the numbers now :)

Jeez I’m running out of gold now :\

33. Yukk says:

Good start Tapington and thanks a lot for writing :)
    pvp is the only thing that keeps me in the game as my raiding guild effectively died :(

but to the topic of racials: I wonder why no mention for dwarfish Gun Specialization, Troll’s Bow Specialization and Draenei’s Heroic Presence. Each adds noticeable bonus to each race, and while I don’t think that Heroic Presence (now that it applies only to a player) can make Draenei so much better, but at least it’s a good reason for players like me, who do both PvE and PvP. Gun and bow specializations both make their races even better…

34. Archaleus says:

I’m an experienced PvP’er and this is an excellent starting point for anyone looking to get into PvP. I really can not wait for your specific comp guildes. Those will be a ton of fun to check out

35. Caramellos says:

Hello, one really important thing to mention here.
    In one blue post, that was concerned about trap resisting, one of the devs had written that they WANT traps to be resisted, and that spell penetration has no effect on the resist chance.
    Try to respon, or change the enchants. Thank you.

36. Dagray says:

On the subject of spell pen:

Here’s a little info for those of you who are still wondering how it works.

Spell Penetration reduces the percentage of magical damage that can be blocked via the enemy player’s resistances. Note: That’s resistance (Fire, Frost, etc) not resilience. Also, it only reduces resistance to dmg, not resistance to spells themselves (i.e. traps)

Typically, if you go w/out Spell Pen, anywhere from 20-25% of your shots will be resisted. Not in full mind you, a small bit for each shot. Once you stack some spell penetration, your shots will hit just as hard as they hit in PvE minus resilience.

To clarify things further:

Enemy – 20% Resilience (Player Dmg Reduction) 20% Resistance to all types (Elemental Dmg Resistance)

Now any shot you hit this player with will be reduced to 60% of it’s potential. Spell Penetration effectively removes the second part of the equation, bringing this back up to 80%.

You can compare how much spell penetration you might need in PvP while in a 5man or raiding group. Just open your character screen really quickly and check to see what your current resistances to each type of damage are. They’re most likely around 200-250ish. Each point of spell penetration that you gem for effectively removes one point of resistance.

This is why 170-220 spell penetration is so important.

37. Dagray says:

One thing I forgot in that post:

Spell Penetration is useful only for shots that are actually comprised of elemental damage. I.E. Explosive Shot, Arcane Shot, Chimera Shot, Cobra Shot, Serpent Sting, etc.

It will not effect shots which do physical damage. I.E. Aimed Shot, Steady Shot, Auto Shot, Kill Shot, All Pet Damage, etc

38. Dagray says:

Ehh, another one last thing… Not related to spell pen though :P

If Frost decides to create a PVP tutorial portion of the guides menu, please create a spell pen guide and have it with a big bold arrow next to it. Otherwise you will get compounded with questions as you did here.

Either that or link to an explanation at the bottom of each post :)

39. Unreal says:

Thanks for the info and Frost finally having a pvp section on the website.
    I have some quick questions, i pvp alot in bgs but don’t do arenas because my server is mostly pvers and it’s hard to find arena team partners, i’m at 3k conquest points from dailies and as i stated i don’t do arenas and i wanted to know which vicious piece should i spend my almost capped conquest since it will take a while to get them back to 3k+(unless i finally manage to get some rt bgs or arena partners).
    What do you think are the first best pieces to get when we have enough conquest or at 4k cap, for a casual player?
    Should i go for the weapons(hand or bow) first or the set pieces?
    Forgot to mention, i’ve got all the honor gear already(even two belts, all trinkets… etc) so i really just want to know what’s the best upgrade i could get now from the vicious set for my soon to be long conquest cap. :P
    Cheers and thank you for your time.

• Tapington says:

If you bow isn’t iLevel 359, then get the bow. Likewise for your 2h. Otherwise upgrade main set.

40. MyBlackSheep says:

Hey!
    Thanks for PvP guides!
    Unfortunately, You promise 1v1 and so one guides, but I miss
    -> talent tree with tallents <-
    and main usefull spells
    also guide "best in slot" on different levels of pvp experience would be nice

• Tapington says:

The “Talent tree with talents” guides have already been written, and are just waiting to be published.

41. Thuunder says:

Sorry, but I guess I am getting spoiled with all of the great PvP advice. I recently got hooked on PvP (all manners of it) and I have been impatiently waiting for new PvP postings. I am going to hold my breath until a new \episode\ is up….!!!! I swear I will!!

42. Thuunder says:

Tapp & Frost,

Thanks so much for the excellent pvp info. It has definitely improved my play tremendously (which is actually not really saying much considering I really stunk – and sadly did not realize it). I love the new world of PvP I have entered, both BGs and arena.

I would like to provide some purely anecdotal “evidence” in regards to reforging Mastery vs Crit. (Sorry Frost – I know you hate this but I can’t help myself). I am doing this for others like myself who are scientifically and mathematically challenged, to put it politely, and like to hear others’ simple experiences to see if it matches with their own.

I am level 85 Worgen BM spec. I reforged back and forth between mastery and crit several times over a period of a few weeks, a few days at a time. I wanted to do some real-life trials for comparison. My “results” are based on doing a bunch of BGs and the resulting Recount data.

Well, no major revelation here but I found little difference in dps between maxing out mastery vs crit. The final recount results were generally the same if I had been maxed crit….sort of. Actually, I found that I regularly (or, perhaps, more easily) got a bit higher dps with crit maxed out.

Now, I realize that I have no hard numbers to back this up and so much of this is based on play-style, your opponents’ skill level, pet used, gear, other buffs, etc. but I just wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth (which aint much). In my opinion, even as a BM spec, mastery is not the be-all-and-end-all that it seemingly should be. As a result, I will likely stay reforged to max crit…for now.

Thanks!

43. Grumblin says:

I see here for BM Hunters you too are reccomending Mastery over crit… Ive found that my DPS seems to be better with the latter, and am wondering if its been re-tested as of late. TY in advance.

44. Grumblin says:

Never mind, I dont know how to read apparantly… I swear above post wasnt there originnaly. I too though, am getting aboves results

45. Zevrik says:

Excellent information guys! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I’ve been starting to PvP more with my hunter and this page has been very helpful.

46. Roger says:

You may want to update the Orc racials. They also get a 15% reduction in stun durations and their pets deal 5% more damage.

47. Khrazer says:

Tap, first… Great post man!
    Second.. im kinda confused where to go here… i started this pvp fun thing and now i cant stop lol!

OK… so for a huma hunter… im having trouble to fix my trinks…
    should i got with the Proc agi + Essence of the Cyclone or the Proc Agi + the on Use Agi? that 300 resil that im loosing staying with the proc + Essence of cyclone makes much difference? or the stats on cyclone compensates that?

Thanks dude!

48. Alark says:

Hey there,made a flowchart for PvP gear usage :D

49. Arcturux says:

Excellent starter article, but there is a few things that i don’t feel is optimal.

First of all it’s clear that resilience is very important BUT it doesn’t mean that you want to only focus on maximising resilience – Right now I’m sitting on full season 10 vicious gear(IE. the gear you can get from honor) with two pieces being PVE and i have 3500+ resilience without gemming or enchanting for it – The last few hundred resilience you could get from gemming for it is so minute that you would be much better off gemming for some offence = Agility.

In regards to racials, the blood elf racial is a shitty racial to say the least – First of all it only works in a 8 yards radius and then it only lasts for 2 seconds – Thats utterly useless seing we as hunters have many ways of getting the healer or a dps out of the game for an extended period – Scatter shot(4 seconds – 2x with readiness), Silencing shot(3 seconds – 2x with readiness) and freezing trap(80 seconds – 2x with readiness) – The blood elf torrent is a joke compared to what we already got – It’s probably the worst horde racial in the game – Even the tauren one is better because it stuns ANY enemy and not just spellcasters.
    The best racial is definately the undead/Human extra trinket but if you are more offensive in your playstyle(Ie. the fun way to play ;)) then either the orc or troll is the one to go for – Personally i would choose orc since we get the “troll racial” with our rapid fire ability.
    The dwarf racial is pretty good, but it isn’t THAT good(Are we a little biased here perhabs?;)) – And the 20% heal is actually more of a lifesaver than you would expect – Especially if you mainly do battlegrounds where healers often er lacking.

50. Erik says:

When will the “Talent tree with talents” guide be published? :D

51. destor says:

Hey tap could u tell me which leg enchant to choose Dragonscale Leg Armour or Charscale Leg Armour i did a test and dragonscale leg armour gave more dps so should i choose more damage or abit less damage plus some extra health?

52. Snoggi says:

I’d like to add to this list that Ancient Petrified Leaf (or when unavailable, any of the PvE burst trinkets) works very well with Beast Mastery.

Probably better than any alternative.

And on a side note, I noticed that for BM, when I stopped being obsessed about resilience, i started doing a lot better. Our job as hunters is not to get hit and that’s easier if you put pressure on your targets instead of negligable damage. One or two PvE pieces will help greatly with that. But that’s just my opinion.

53. Dante says:

I have a question for geming. in yellow gems we can put resi but you chose crit. Even tough we’ll be reforgeing into crit. I mean isnt resi in the long run better for certain ocations and even better for rated bgs ? when your survival is important to make the healer survive xD. please get back at me. and also I chose blacksmith and JC for my profs for the extrasockets means I can but resi sockets on normal yellos and then crit sockets on extra ones. Thus improving both my crit and resi making me really hard to kill on an MM spec. please get back at me >.<

54. graham says:

thanks for the guide, just starting out trying pvp after long time playing pve and this cleared up a lot of questions fast

55. Longshotz says:

has this guide been updated to the new season?

56. Blur says:

This guide is still relevant as of 4.3 only changes would be to the new epic gems are better than rare blue quality.

57. Desperate hunter says:

Hey Tappington, i was wondering what your personal opinion on best/funiest PRofessions you use right now!
    thanks, i would like direct answer: )

58. Asbat says:

Aweome guide. I usually don’t comment on these forums, but I’d like to thank the publishers of this website. My main used to be a DK tank (a good one too), but after I got my hunter capped, I fell in love and it’s pretty much all I play anymore. Jut recently re-broke the ice in the PvP department, and thi guide ha helped me kick some major ass. Good on ya guys.

• Denker says:

Hi to all guys i need some advice about my gear renforge and geming on my BM hunter Pvp. I play only pvp , i ‘d like to know if i can decrese my sp at 195 and if is better use in yellow soket agi /crit or agi and res.

discuss..

cheers

• Denker says:

discuss..

cheers

59. ecksho says:

hey one question though. what about the gear that can be transfered to other characters for twinking whats the best and where do you get it for hunters im twinking out a orc hunter and hes at lvl11

60. Epill says:

is this updated for patch 5.0.4/5.0.5??

also…will this be updated when MoP goes Live? thx

61. pvp hunter says:

So is having all the pvp gear off conquest points better than mixing it up?