I’ve been getting a cluster of macro-related emails lately, and this is one of the areas that I haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to in Cataclysm. As I’ve discussed before, I use very few macros when I actually play. Personally, for me, most macros are more trouble than they’re worth (just like addons, actually, only more so). They’re just something else to break with patches.
I have my MD macro, I macro stuff into my shots when it’s a good idea, and I have a macro so I hop on a random mount when I push my mount button. And I think that’s all I’m using in PVE these days (pvp is a different story).
So instead of me trying to think of what macros might possibly be necessary or useful to the PVE hunter, let’s have a macro guide by the entire WHU community. Drop in the comments and let us know what your awesome PVE macros are. Alternatively, if there’s something you want a macro for, drop the request in the comments and we’ll put our collective heads together for you.
But first, some rules:
- PVE macros only. PVP is a different world with about 80 bazillion times more macros necessary to play.
- Only one macro per comment. If you have several, split them up.
- First list what the macro does for you (this macro will automatically cast misdirect to your focus target, or if you have none, to your pet, or if your pet is dead, to the nearest healer) then list the macro code.
- Please, no macros designed to try to handle your rotation for you. We know these result in a dps loss in real raid situations, because they don’t think, and we do.
- Seriously, NO rotation macros. If it’s a /castsequence shot1, shot1, shot1, shot2 — do not bother posting. This annoys me enough that if I’m feeling persnickety I will absolutely IP ban you for it. If I’m feeling lazy, I might just delete your comment.
- If you’re requesting a macro to do something, start the comment with “Macro Request:” so we can see at a glance who’s looking for what.
We’re looking for actual macros here — or macro requests — not guides on how to make macros or how macros work (unless we’re explaining to someone asking why we can’t have a macro fire cobra and explosive shot in one button press).
To get you guys started, there are a ton of variations on the MD macro – which do you use? I’m also planning on putting together a very simple aspect dancing macro — what do you use? Do you have any special macros for specific boss fights?