View all WoW Cataclysm hunter information Here.
The level cap is 85 in the Cataclysm beta, and we finally have access to Camouflage. I have to say, for what is essentially a pure pvp ability– and I was a bit disappointed to learn our level 85 hunter ability was only for pvp — but despite this, Camouflage is impressive! Both in appearance (badass!) and utility.
Seriously, take a look in the Camouflage video:
How Hunter Camouflage Works
I’ve been doing as much testing as I can on Camouflage. I haven’t tested it against everything, but I’ve covered a whole lot. Here’s the basics:
You can only enter Camouflage while out of combat. If you or your pet attack, Camouflage ends. If you take damage (from a DoT on you, for example) Camouflage ends. Camouflage lasts for 1 minute, and has a 1-minute cooldown.
While in Camouflage, if you’re standing still it acts as stealth (kind of) — you essentially cannot be seen. While moving you have that cool-shimmery predator effect. You can be targeted, however — not by tab-targetting, but by clicking. But though you can be targeted, you cannot be attacked. Also while in Camouflage, you do not display a nameplate to someone who has nameplates turned on — so you remain difficult to see.
In PvE, if you’re Camouflaged, mobs do not aggro on you. Your traps are effectively useless on them however, since they aren’t in combat and they just evade or insta-heal damage. In PvP, you’re immune to virtually everything while Camouflaged. Oh yeah, seriously.
The Camouflage List of Awesome
The List of Awesome includes all of the varied awesome things that you are totally immune to while in Camouflage:
- You are not affected by any ability that must target you
- You cannot be tracked
- Flare does not remove you from camo
- Hunter’s Mark does not remove you from camo
- You do not set off traps
- You are not affected by any aoe that I’ve tested (including locks, priests, and warriors)
- You are not affected by aoe fears
- You are not affected by mass dispell
- You are not affected by demoralizing shout
What you can do while in Camouflage
All of the follow can be used while under the effects of Camouflage without breaking Camouflage:
- Drop traps
- Use the trap launcher
- Change aspects
- Use the pet “move to” command (which could have some neat tricks)
- Mend pet
- Dismiss pet
- Summon pet
- Use non-damaging engineering stuff, like nitro boosts, parachute cloak, explosive sheet (but not bombs)
- Drink a potion
- Use hearthstone
What you cannot do while in Camouflage
Well, technically not anything other than what you can do — some things you literally cannot do, while most others will simple break you out of Camouflage. Specific things tried and failed include:
- Any kind of attack, by you or your pet, other than traps
- Hunter’s Mark
- Bandaging (you can bandage others, but not yourself)
- Disengage — well, since you have to be not in combat to enter camo… and you have to be in combat to disengage, you pretty much can’t by default.
Overall, Camouflage scores an 11 on the Awesomesauce meter. Sure, it’s still a pvp ability and sure, all those immunities are only useful if you aren’t actually fighting (and no one has put a dot on you) but camo is fricking huge. Huge I say!
Even in PvE, camo will give us a nice quality of life boost. The ability to just camo and walk past anything we don’t want to waste the time to slaughter. Or rather than just hitting FD when things get rough, we can hit FD, camo, then saunter off to safety.
So yeah, Camouflage is a winner. Now just wait for the other classes to start wailing about it : )