Razor Raid Pain

So I’ve been hitting Ulduar in my 10-man and also last weekend hit it with the 25 man. The theme so far with both groups is that we’ve experienced some pain. Okay, well a lot of pain, specifically where Razorscale is concerned.

25-man started out the night farming naxx achievements while waiting for the full raid, then we hit Emalon Storm Watcher. It was a fun fight, and we took him down on the 2nd shot.

wwemalon

Then we moved on to Ulduar, where we smoked Leviathan on the first try. We moved on to Razorscale, where we proceeded to wipe a good handful of times before hitting out quitting time.  It was a little frustrating, only because there wasn’t a lot of sense of progress for much of the wiping.

ww-suck-less

And inevitably you have the occasional silly mistake pop up, such as, perhaps, not having a weapon equipped…

ww-egg-basket

We did finally get Razorscale down to about 15% on a nice solid attempt, but then we hit our end time and had to call it. This weekend I think we’ll see him dead.

The 10-man front was a somewhat different, yet all to similar story. We started out with a lovely, controlled one-shot of Leviathan in short order. Then Razorscale… We had taken Razorscale down before, but our 10-man group is just a little bit like a retarded family member. You love ’em to death, but, well… retarded.

Don’t get me wrong, I contributed to this as well. While still getting the hang of my new button placement and shot rotation, I was trying to remember to used Kill Shot and got tunnel vision on my cooldowns, and didn’t notice once when the blue flames appeared all around me. I just stood in them ’til I died. Hrist also got annoyed when the pizza showed up, and promised pain when he flies up for the BBQ.

ww-kill-frost

And, just like the 25-man, we occasionally had the silly mistake, like continuing to cast an entirely useless spell rather than a heal…

ww-bella

And Hrist, that haterade, was patient as always.

wwjust-wipe-it

At the end of the evening I think we managed to wipe something like 8 times over the course of two hours. Most of the time we never even hit phase 2 where razorscale is grounded. With the constant moving, mobs constantly moving out of range, and holding back so as not to pull aggro on the trash, everyone’s dps was much lower than normal.

Normally our top dpsers are our badass ret pally, our badass mage, and of course me. I’d say that on average all of us were about 1,000dps below a typical boss fight. Worse yet, while I managed to do the most damage on our attempts overall, our uber badass mage smoked me in dps. I suspect I’d have pulled ahead if we had a full phase 2, but I can only be thankful the mage had harpoon duty to keep me on top!

So it was a painful couple of raids. I can only hope that our 10-man swings back to the savant side for our next night, ’cause I’m ready to play with a new boss for a change!

ww-meter

1. Yorigrim says:

I was getting ridiculous lag in the 25 man, I’m afraid that I will need a new computer to be effective there :( Next week I will probably put my view distance back to minimum and see if that helps. In 10 man, I need max view for tanking, so I didn’t change it back like I did the previous week’s 25 man. Oh well, always next time.

We also found out last night they nerfed the crap out of ignis and xt so you should go play with them perhaps instead of messing with Razor if you can’t clinch it.

2. stonefather says:

XT didn’t get nerfed much, but the change on the damage of inferno’s and number of charges to make the adds molten made setting them up to be brittle be much easier. Highlight of our night was somone testing a macro while buffing at kologarn… eye lasers in the middle of a mostly sitting raid is humorous :) reminded me of a certain hunter who has made posts on this board testing a pet attack macro while buffing at Ragnaros, only to have said pet charge ragnaros and wipe the 40 man raid… It’s years ago, but memories are long for that sort of thing :P

3. quiv says:

razorscale has caused me much pain as well. my dps was low on it to, im glad im not the only one lol.

ignis, on the other hand, is killin me. i heard he got nerfed, but dang. both of these fights i go through mana like nuts, 2-3 full bars. 14kmana raid buffed in 10 man :\

4. Arthemystia says:

From what I’ve seen of Ulduar (videos, reports, blogs, etc.) it’s a ton of running, multiple phases, usually ending in fail, and generally not getting to utilize our new stationary Sniper Training. I smell a future blog about BM making a resurgence as “raid off-spec for stupid bosses.” There might be a lot to be said for going BigRedDevilsaur, forgetting about him while he dps’s, then focusing on the gymnastic silliness Blizzard wants us to go through on these things.

/sigh

5. Sikakissa says:

Heh.. Razorscale seems like a boss that is a pain in the ass for some ppl, and free loot to others. There doesn’t really seem to be a midway :) I’ve personally never experienced problems with him – we even killed him with 1st attempt during the first Ulduar reset. We were like “Let’s just try it so we’ll know what this fight is all about.” and soon after that we were laughing our asses off :)

Btw, personally I’ve gotten used to the new rotation and stuff pretty fast. The first 25-man try, when we downed 6 bosses, I ended up pulling the best DPS on every boss, even though I was the harpoon gunner at Razorscale, heh :)

6. JG says:

FROST- dude, you need to get some macros! even the easy ones, like for your aspects, make that half the buttons! i am at work at the moment and dont remember them exactly, but all they are are left click dragonhawk, right click viper kinda deal, give you some free buttons, another one i use is an MD macro, which just automatically MD’s my pet if i have no focus and my focus when i have one, some people use your focus for other things though.

7. Aldax says:

Frost, this is a question for you. I’ve been wondering about the following. I hope you know the answer.
    When I read the recount chart, I see your DPS is nearly the same as that of MANA BATERY. However, your overall damage is about 25% of that of MANA BATERY.
    I have seen such situations before. I can find the explanation.
    Do you know what is the cause of that?

8. Frostheim says:

There are several possible reasons, but typically the overriding reason is simply that Recount does some weird things when it tracks dps. It doesn’t just divide your damage by the # of seconds in the fight. Instead it turns the timer on and off when it thinks that you’re pausing in attacking.

The reason for doing this is that if you die, it doesn’t want to keep counting the time against you. This way you can, in theory, compare the dps of two people even though one died halfway through. It’s great in theory.

In practice, it’s just messed up. As a hunter, I never stop shooting long enough for it to pause my clock. If I’m running, then I’m jump shotting here and there, even though my *overall dps* for the time spent running is much lower, the clock keeps on ticking.

I’ve noticed that the dps tracker is particularly kind to mages, though I’m not sure why. I’ve noticed often on fights like Patchwerk where everyone lives and fights the whole time, mages will often have a “dps” result disproportionate to their damage done.

Anyhow, this is why I always advocate measuring your dps by the Damage Done meter. After all, that’s the whole point — how much damage did you contribute in the end? And you know what, staying alive is part of your job too, so you should be punished for being dead (I know, it’s not always your fault, but thems the ways it goes).